Regular physical activity helps improve your overall health and fitness, and reduces your risk for many chronic diseases.
Needs, benefits, and resources
Reports, recommendations, and fact sheets
Physical activity at work and worksite walking programs
Status Report for Step it Up! The Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Promote Walking and Walkable Communities Cdc-pdf[PDF-1.24MB]
The Status Report summarizes the state of walking and walkability when the Call to Action was released, as well as selected activities done since the release to sustain the messages and promote the goals established by the U.S. Surgeon General.
This report summarizes the scientific evidence on physical activity and health, and will be used by the government to develop the second edition of the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans.
A helpful list of 196 common activities in which youth participate and the estimated energy cost associated with each activity.
The report summarizes the state of walking and walkability when the Call to Action, as well as selected activities done since the release to sustain the messages and promote the goals established by the U.S. Surgeon General.
- Physical Activity Builds a Healthy and Strong America Cdc-pdf[PDF-2.7MB]
- Promoting Airport Walking: A Guide Cdc-pdf[PDF-2.35MB]
- Walking for Transportation or Leisure Among U.S. Women and Men
National Health Interview Survey, 2005–2015 Cdc-pdf[PDF-297KB]
- Adults Eligible for Cardiovascular Disease Prevention Counseling and Participation in Aerobic Physical Activity — United States, 2013
- Data, Trends and Maps Database
Check out the latest state initiatives and news related to nutrition, physical activity, overweight and obesity