CDC Research on SDOH: Neighborhood and Built Environment
Research by CDC authors on a range of SDOH topics expands the scientific evidence that will help build the pathway to health equity. Based on specified criteria, the following list of recently published peer-reviewed articles is organized into categories as described in the Healthy People 2020 place-based frameworkExternal.
This list includes CDC research and other journal articles that reflect the connection between where a person lives (e.g., housing, neighborhood, and environment) and his or her health and well-being. Articles cover such topics as quality of housing, access to transportation, availability of healthy foods, quality of the water or air, and neighborhood crime and violence.
- Housing Assistance and Blood Lead Levels: Children in the United States, 2005-2012External
Ahrens KA, Haley BA, Rossen LM, Lloyd PC, Aoki Y. Am J Public Health. 2016:e1-e8.
- Food Insecurity, CKD, and Subsequent ESRD in US AdultsExternal
Banerjee T, Crews DC, Wesson DE, Dharmarajan S, Saran R, Rios Burrows N, Saydah S, Powe NR. Am J Kidney Dis. 2017.
- Physical, Mental, and Financial Impacts from Drought in Two California Counties, 2015External
Barreau T, Conway D, Haught K, Jackson R, Kreutzer R, Lockman A, Minnick S, Roisman R, Rozell D, Smorodinsky S, Tafoya D, Wilken JA. Am J Public Health. 2017:e1-e8.
- Building Community: Stakeholder Perspectives on Walking in Malls and Other VenuesExternal
Belza B, Miyawaki CE, Allen P, King DK, Marquez DX, Jones DL, Janicek S, Rosenberg D, Brown DR. J Aging Phys Act. 2017:1-41.
- Health Care, Family, and Community Factors Associated with Mental, Behavioral, and Developmental Disorders in Early Childhood — United States, 2011-2012
Bitsko RH, Holbrook JR, Robinson LR, Kaminski JW, Ghandour R, Smith C, Peacock G. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65(9):221-6.
- The Importance of Housing for Healthy Populations and CommunitiesExternal
Breysse PN, Gant JL. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2017;23(2):204-206.
- Surveillance of Infectious Diseases in the ArcticExternal
Bruce M, Zulz T, Koch A. Public Health. 2016.
- Store-directed Price Promotions and Communications Strategies Improve Healthier Food Supply and Demand: Impact Results from a Randomized Controlled, Baltimore City Store-Intervention TrialExternal
Budd N, Jeffries JK, Jones-Smith J, Kharmats A, McDermott AY, Gittelsohn J. Public Health Nutr. 2017:1-11.
- How Reported Usefulness Modifies the Association between Neighborhood Supports and Walking BehaviorExternal
Carlson SA, Paul P, Watson KB, Schmid TL, Fulton JE. Prev Med. 2016.
- Indoor Air Quality in Green-Renovated vs. Non-Green Low-Income Homes of Children Living in a Temperate Region of US (Ohio)External
Coombs KC, Chew GL, Schaffer C, Ryan PH, Brokamp C, Grinshpun SA, Adamkiewicz G, Chillrud S, Hedman C, Colton M, Ross J, Reponen T. Sci Total Environ. 2016;554-555:178-185.
- Racialized Risk Environments in a Large Sample of People Who Inject Drugs in the United StatesExternal
Cooper HL, Linton S, Kelley ME, Ross Z, Wolfe ME, Chen YT, Zlotorzynska M, Hunter-Jones J, Friedman SR, Des Jarlais D, Semaan S, Tempalski B, DiNenno E, Broz D, Wejnert C, Paz-Bailey G. Int J Drug Policy. 2016;27:43-55.
- Risk Environments, Race/Ethnicity, and HIV Status in a Large Sample of People Who Inject Drugs in the United StatesExternal
Cooper HL, Linton S, Kelley ME, Ross Z, Wolfe ME, Chen YT, Zlotorzynska M, Hunter-Jones J, Friedman SR, Des Jarlais DC, Tempalski B, DiNenno E, Broz D, Wejnert C, Paz-Bailey G. PLoS One. 2016;11(3):e0150410.
- The Impact of Neighborhoods on CV RiskExternal
Diez Roux AV, Mujahid MS, Hirsch JA, Moore K, Moore LV. Glob Heart. 2016;11(3):353-363.
- Housing Assistance Programs and Adult Health in the United StatesExternal
Fenelon A, Mayne P, Simon AE, Rossen LM, Helms V, Lloyd P, Sperling J, Steffen BL. Am J Public Health. 2017:e1-e8.
- Integrating Health Into Buildings of the FutureExternal
Heidari L, Younger M, Chandler G, Gooch J, Schramm P. J Sol Energy Eng, Transactions of the ASME. 2017;139(1).
- Cigarette Smoking and Adverse Health Outcomes Among Adults Receiving Federal Housing AssistanceExternal
Helms VE, King BA, Ashley PJ. Prev Med. 2017.
- Improving Health in the Arctic Region Through Safe and Affordable Access to Household Running Water and Sewer Services: An Arctic Council InitiativeExternal
Hennessy TW, Bressler JM. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2016;75:31149.
- The Enduring Impact of Violence Against ChildrenExternal
Hillis SD, Mercy JA, Saul JR. Psychol Health Med. 2016:1-13.
- THRIVES: Using the Best Evidence to Prevent Violence Against ChildrenExternal
Hillis S, Mercy J, Saul J, Gleckel J, Abad N, Kress H. J Public Health Policy. 2016;37 Suppl 1:51-65.
- Farm to Preschool: The State of the Research Literature and a Snapshot of National PracticeExternal
Hoffman JA, Schmidt EM, Wirth C, Johnson S, Sobell SA, Pelissier K, Harris DM, Izumi BT. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition. 2016:1-23.
- Reportable Bacterial Infections Among New York City-Born Infants, 2001-2009External
Isaac BM, Masonbrink A, Kennedy J, Greene SK, Hennessy RR, Rosen JB, Trieu L, Ngai S, Morse SS, Weiss D. J Pediatr. 2016.
- Sodium in Store and Restaurant Food Environments — Guam, 2015
Jackson SL, VanFrank BK, Lundeen E, Uncangco A, Alam L, King SM, Cogswell ME. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65(20):510-3.
- Hospitalizations for Heat-Stress Illness Varies between Rural and Urban Areas: An Analysis of Illinois Data, 1987-2014External
Jagai JS, Grossman E, Navon L, Sambanis A, Dorevitch S. Environ Health. 2017;16(1):38.
- Lunch Salad Bars in New Orleans’ Middle and High Schools: Student Intake of Fruit and VegetablesExternal
Johnson CC, Myers L, Mundorf AR, O’Malley K, Spruance LA, Harris DM. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14(4).
- State-Level Farmers Market Activities: A Review of CDC-Funded State Public Health Actions that Support Farmers MarketsExternal
Kahin SA, Wright DS, Pejavara A, Kim SA. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2016.
- Blood Lead Levels Among Children Aged <6 Years — Flint, Michigan, 2013-2016
Kennedy C, Yard E, Dignam T, Buchanan S, Condon S, Brown MJ, Raymond J, Rogers HS, Sarisky J, de Castro R, Arias I, Breysse P. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65(25):650-4.
- Barriers to and Facilitators of Stocking Healthy Food Options: Viewpoints of Baltimore City Small StoreownersExternal
Kim M, Budd N, Batorsky B, Krubiner C, Manchikanti S, Waldrop G, Trude A, Gittelsohn J. Ecol Food Nutr. 2016:1-14.
- Safe, Affordable, Convenient: Environmental Features of Malls and Other Public Spaces Used by Older Adults for WalkingExternal
King DK, Allen P, Jones DL, Marquez DZ, Brown DR, Rosenberg D, Janicek S, Allen L, Belza B. J Phys Act Health. 2016;13(3):289-95.
- State Tobacco Control Program Implementation Strategies for Smoke-Free Multiunit HousingExternal
Kuiper NM, Marshall LL, Lavinghouze SR, King BA. Health Promot Pract. 2016.
- Healthful Nutrition of Foods in Navajo Nation Stores: Availability and PricingExternal
Kumar G, Jim-Martin S, Piltch E, Onufrak S, McNeil C, Adams L, Williams N, Blanck HM, Curley L. Am J Health Promot. 2016;30(7):501-10.
- Association of Neighbourhood Food Availability with the Consumption of Processed and Ultra-Processed Food Products by Children in a City of Brazil: A Multilevel AnalysisExternal
Leite FH, de Carvalho Cremm E, de Abreu DS, Oliveira MA, Budd N, Martins PA. Public Health Nutr. 2017:1-12.
- Reduced Prevalence of Obesity in 14 Disadvantaged Black Communities in the United States: A Successful 4-Year Place-Based Participatory InterventionExternal
Liao Y, Siegel PZ, Garraza LG, Xu Y, Yin S, Scardaville M, Gebreselassie T, Stephens RL. Am J Public Health. 2016:e1-e7.
- A Pilot Study of Healthy Living Options at 16 Truck Stops Across the United StatesExternal
Lincoln JE, Birdsey J, Sieber WK, Chen GX, Hitchcock EM, Nakata A, Robinson CF. Am J Health Promot. 2016.
- Public Perception of Quality and Support for Required Access to Drinking Water in Schools and ParksExternal
Long MW, Gortmaker SL, Patel AI, Onufrak SJ, Wilking CL, Cradock AL. Am J Health Promot. 2016.
- Integrating Health and Transportation in Nashville, Tennessee, USA: From Policy to ProjectsExternal
Meehan LA, Whitfield GP. J Transp Health. 2017.
- School District Policies and Adolescents’ Soda ConsumptionExternal
Miller GF, Sliwa S, Brener ND, Park S, Merlo CL. J Adolesc Health. 2016.
- Differences in Chronic Disease Behavioral Indicators by Sexual Orientation and SexExternal
Minnis AM, Catellier D, Kent C, Ethier KA, Soler RE, Heirendt W, Halpern MT, Rogers T. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2016;22 Suppl 1:S25-32.
- Development and Implementation of a Local Government Survey to Measure Community Supports for Healthy Eating and Active LivingExternal
Moore LV, Carlson SA, Onufrak S, Carroll DD, Galuska D. Prev Med Rep. 2017;6:74-79.
- Features in Grocery Stores That Motivate Shoppers to Buy Healthier Foods, ConsumerStyles 2014External
Moore LV, Pinard CA, Yaroch AL. J Community Health. 2016.
- Neighborhoods and Racial/Ethnic Differences in Ideal Cardiovascular Health (the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis)External
Mujahid MS, Moore LV, Petito LC, Kershaw KN, Watson K, Diez Roux AV. Health Place. 2017;44:61-69.
- Tobacco Use, Secondhand Smoke, and Smoke-Free Home Rules in Multiunit HousingExternal
Nguyen KH, Gomez Y, Homa DM, King BA. Am J Prev Med. 2016.
- Applying the Social Ecological Model to Creating Asthma-Friendly Schools in LouisianaExternal
Nuss HJ, Hester LL, Perry MA, Stewart-Briley C, Reagon VM, Collins P. J Sch Health. 2016;86(3):225-32.
- Shared Use Agreements between Municipalities and Public Schools in the United States, 2014External
Omura JD, Carlson SA, Paul P, Sliwa S, Onufrak SJ, Fulton JE. Prev Med. 2016.
- Walking and the Perception of Neighborhood Attributes Among U.S. Adults – 2012External
Paul P, Carlson SA, Fulton JE. J Phys Act Health. 2017;14(1):36-44.
- Assessing Climate Change and Health Vulnerability at the Local Level: Travis County, TexasExternal
Prudent N, Houghton A, Luber G. Disasters. 2016.
- Differences in Health Care, Family, and Community Factors Associated with Mental, Behavioral, and Developmental Disorders Among Children Aged 2-8 Years in Rural and Urban areas — United States, 2011-2012
Robinson LR, Holbrook JR, Bitsko RH, Hartwig SA, Kaminski JW, Ghandour RM, Peacock G, Heggs A, Boyle CA. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2017;66(8):1-11.
- Evaluating Community Measures of Healthy Food AccessExternal
Santorelli ML, Okeke JO. J Community Health. 2017.
- Community Trauma as a Predictor of Sexual Risk, Marijuana Use, and Psychosocial Outcomes Among Detained African-American Female AdolescentsExternal
Seth P, Jackson JM, DiClemente RJ, Fasula AM. Vulnerable Child Youth Stud. 2017:1-7
- Association of Higher Consumption of Foods Derived from Subsidized Commodities with Adverse Cardiometabolic Risk Among US AdultsExternal
Siegel KR, McKeever Bullard K, Imperatore G, Kahn HS, Stein AD, Ali MK, Narayan KM. JAMA Intern Med. 2016.
- Housing Characteristics and Indoor Air Quality in Households of Alaska Native Children with Chronic Lung ConditionsExternal
Singleton R, Salkoski AJ, Bulkow L, Fish C, Dobson J, Albertson L, Skarada J, Kovesi T, McDonald C, Hennessy TW, Ritter T. Indoor Air. 2016.
- District Policies and Practices Vary in Their Association with Adolescents’ Consumption of Milk and 100% Fruit JuiceExternal
Sliwa SA, Miller GF, Brener ND, Park S, Merlo CL. J Adolesc Health. 2017.
- Social Determinants of HIV Disparities in the Southern United States and in Counties with Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs), 2013-2014External
Sutton MY, Gray SC, Elmore K, Gaul Z. PLoS One. 2017;12(1):e0170714.
- Impact of Providing In-Home Water Service on the Rates of Infectious Diseases: Results from Four Communities in Western AlaskaExternal
Thomas TK, Ritter T, Bruden D, Bruce M, Byrd K, Goldberger R, Dobson J, Hickel K, Smith J, Hennessy T. J Water Health. 2016;14(1):132-41.
- Facilitating Fresh: State Laws Supporting School Gardens Are Associated with Use of Garden-Grown Produce in School Nutrition Services ProgramsExternal
Turner L, Leider J, Piekarz E, Schermbeck RM, Merlo C, Brener N, Chriqui JF. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2017.
- Walking and Walkability: Is Wayfinding a Missing Link? Implications for Public Health PracticeExternal
Vandenberg AE, Hunter RH, Anderson LA, Bryant LL, Hooker SP, Satariano WA. J Phys Act Health. 2016;13(2):189-97.
- Physical Inactivity Among Adults Aged 50 Years and Older — United States, 2014
Watson KB, Carlson SA, Gunn JP, Galuska DA, O’Connor A, Greenlund KJ, Fulton JE. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65(36):954-958.
- Disparities in Adolescents’ Residence in Neighborhoods Supportive of Physical Activity — United States, 2011-2012
Watson KB, Harris CD, Carlson SA, Dorn JM, Fulton JE. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016;65(23):598-601.
- The Integrated Transport and Health Impact Modeling Tool in Nashville, Tennessee, USA: Implementation Steps and Lessons LearnedExternal
Whitfield GP, Meehan LA, Maizlish N, Wendel AM. Journal of Transport and Health. 2016.