Patient Counseling for Pregnant People on Zika Testing
If Zika testing for a pregnant people is indicated, healthcare providers should provide pretest counseling. Healthcare providers should
- Provide the patient with information on the complexity of Zika testing, including the following points:
- More than one Zika test may be required before a final result is determined.
- Understanding test results can be challenging.
- Previous exposure to Zika virus or another related virus (e.g., dengue virus) could affect test results during pregnancy.
- Discuss with patients what test results could mean for their pregnancy.
- Dengue and Zika Virus Diagnostic Testing for Patients with a Clinically Compatible Illness and Risk for Infection with Both Viruses (MMWR, June 13, 2019)
- MotherToBabyexternal icon
- UPDATE: Interim Guidance for Health Care Providers Caring for Pregnant Women with Possible Zika Virus (MMWR, July 24, 2017)
Page last reviewed: March 31, 2022