- You must take PrEP as prescribed for it to work.
- If you do not take PrEP as prescribed, there may not be enough medicine in your bloodstream to block the virus.
- The right amount of medicine in your bloodstream can stop HIV from taking hold and spreading in your body.
- There are no known drug conflicts between PrEP and hormone therapy, and there is no reason why the drugs cannot be taken at the same time.
- PrEP provides protection from HIV, but does not protect against other STDs.
- Condoms can help prevent other STDs that can be transmitted through genital fluids, such as gonorrhea and chlamydia.
- Condoms are less effective at preventing STDs that can be transmitted through sores or cuts on the skin, like human papillomavirus, genital herpes, and syphilis.
Page last reviewed: November 3, 2020