PEP and Workplace Exposures

PEP and Workplace Exposures
Should I take PEP if I think I’ve been exposed to HIV at work?

If you think you’ve been exposed to HIV at work, see a health care provider, an emergency room doctor, or an urgent care provider right away.

  • Report your exposure to the appropriate person at work and seek medical attention immediately.
  • PEP must be started within 72 hours after an exposure. The sooner you start PEP, the better. Every hour counts.
  • Careful practice of standard precautions can help reduce the risk of exposure while caring for patients with HIV.
  • Learn more about occupational exposure to HIV and how to prevent it.

For Health Care Providers
doctor holding a chart

Clinicians caring for workers who’ve had a possible exposure can call the PEPline (1-888-448-4911) for advice on managing occupational exposures to HIV.

Exposed workers may also call the PEPline, but they should seek local medical attention first.