Resources for Persons Living with HIV
Find HIV Care and Treatment
- Find HIV care services near you.
Find local HIV medical care, housing assistance, and substance abuse and mental health services.
- Find your state HIV/AIDS toll-free hotline.
Connect with agencies that can help determine what services you are eligible for and help you get them.
- Search for HIV care specialists.
Find HIV providers who are members of the American Academy of HIV Medicine.
Get Help Paying for HIV Care
- Find out if you’re eligible for the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program.
If you do not have health insurance or money to pay for health services, you might qualify for medical care and other essential support services.
- See if you qualify for disability benefits.
If you have HIV and cannot work, you may qualify for benefits from the Social Security Administration.
- Estimate the cost of health coverage.
Use online cost calculators to help you understand options for lowering the cost of health insurance.
- Find out how to get Medicare drug coverage.
If you have Medicare, learn about what the drug plans cover and the costs you’ll pay.
- Get affordable health insurance.
See if you can enroll in or change plans and get answers to common questions.
- Learn about the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
The ACA created several changes that expand access to coverage for people with HIV.
- Learn about Patient Assistance and Expanded Access Programs.
Find prescription drug assistance information and learn about current expanded access trials.
Find Housing and Job Resources
- Learn about the Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS (HOPWA) Program.
HOPWA is the only Federal program dedicated to addressing the housing needs of people with HIV.
- Find affordable housing opportunities.
If you are homeless, at risk of becoming homeless, or know someone who is, you might be eligible for housing assistance.
- Find questions and answers about housing assistance.
Find out what housing programs are available for people with HIV and learn about eligibility requirements.
- Get advice on getting a new job or returning to work.
Find out how to return to work and learn about your right to request reasonable accommodations.
- Find resources on employment options for people with HIV.
View toolkits, read success stories, and find resource guides for entering or returning the workforce.
- Learn how to reduce stigma and prevent discrimination against employees with HIV.
Get tailored resources and tools from CDC’s Business Responds to AIDS program.
Get Help with Legal Issues
- Find states that have HIV-specific criminal laws.
Access resources about disclosure, confidentiality, and the law from the Center for HIV Law and Policy.
- Get information about HIV discrimination.
Learn about how the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) protects people who are discriminated against because they have HIV or have a relationship with someone with HIV.
- File an HIV discrimination complaint.
File an ADA complaint related to HIV discrimination in employment or housing.
Learn about HIV Stigma and Discrimination
Find Traveling Resources
- Learn about travel health guidelines for immunocompromised travelers.
CDC’s Yellow Book provides pretravel vaccine recommendations and destination-specific health advice.
- Get travel advice and resources.
CDC’s Travelers’ Health page helps you locate travel clinics near you, get travel notices for your destination, and learn about vaccinations and precautions.