Resources for Persons Living with HIV
Find HIV Care and Treatment
- Find HIV care services near you.
Find local HIV medical care, housing assistance, and substance abuse and mental health services.
- Find your state HIV/AIDS toll-free hotline.
Connect with agencies that can help determine what services you are eligible for and help you get them.
- Search for HIV care specialists.
Find HIV providers who are members of the American Academy of HIV Medicine.
Get Help Paying for HIV Care
- Find out if you’re eligible for the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program.
If you do not have health insurance or money to pay for health services, you might qualify for medical care and other essential support services.
- See if you qualify for disability benefits.
If you have HIV and cannot work, you may qualify for benefits from the Social Security Administration.
- Estimate the cost of health coverage.
Use online cost calculators to help you understand options for lowering the cost of health insurance.
- Find out how to get Medicare drug coverage.
If you have Medicare, learn about what the drug plans cover and the costs you’ll pay.
- Get affordable health insurance.
See if you can enroll in or change plans and get answers to common questions.
- Learn about the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
The ACA created several changes that expand access to coverage for people with HIV.
- Learn about Patient Assistance and Expanded Access Programs.
Find prescription drug assistance information and learn about current expanded access trials.
Find Housing and Job Resources
- Learn about the Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS (HOPWA) Program.
HOPWA is the only Federal program dedicated to addressing the housing needs of people with HIV.
- Find affordable housing opportunities.
If you are homeless, at risk of becoming homeless, or know someone who is, you might be eligible for housing assistance.
- Find questions and answers about housing assistance.
Find out what housing programs are available for people with HIV and learn about eligibility requirements.
- Get advice on getting a new job or returning to work.
Find out how to return to work and learn about your right to request reasonable accommodations.
- Find resources on employment options for people with HIV.
View toolkits, read success stories, and find resource guides for entering or returning the workforce.
- Learn how to reduce stigma and prevent discrimination against employees with HIV.
Get tailored resources and tools from CDC’s Business Responds to AIDS program.
Get Help with Legal Issues
- Find states that have HIV-specific criminal laws.
Access resources about disclosure, confidentiality, and the law from the Center for HIV Law and Policy.
- Get information about HIV discrimination.
Learn about how the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) protects people who are discriminated against because they have HIV or have a relationship with someone with HIV.
- File an HIV discrimination complaint.
File an ADA complaint related to HIV discrimination in employment or housing.
Learn about HIV Stigma and Discrimination
Find Traveling Resources
- Learn about travel health guidelines for immunocompromised travelers.
CDC’s Yellow Book provides pretravel vaccine recommendations and destination-specific health advice.
- Get travel advice and resources.
CDC’s Travelers’ Health page helps you locate travel clinics near you, get travel notices for your destination, and learn about vaccinations and precautions.
Page last reviewed: July 15, 2022