Resources for Persons Living with HIV
Find HIV Care and Treatment
- Find HIV care services near you.external icon
Find local HIV medical care, housing assistance, and substance abuse and mental health services.
- Find your state HIV/AIDS toll-free hotlineexternal icon.
Connect with agencies that can help determine what services you are eligible for and help you get them.
- Search for HIV care specialistsexternal icon.
Find HIV providers who are members of the American Academy of HIV Medicine.
Get Help Paying for HIV Care
- Find out if you’re eligible for the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Programexternal icon.
If you do not have health insurance or money to pay for health services, you might qualify for medical care and other essential support services.
- See if you qualify for disability benefitspdf iconexternal icon.
If you have HIV and cannot work, you may qualify for benefits from the Social Security Administration.
- Estimate the cost of health coverageexternal icon.
Use online cost calculators to help you understand options for lowering the cost of health insurance.
- Find out how to get Medicare drug coverageexternal icon.
If you have Medicare, learn about what the drug plans cover and the costs you’ll pay.
- Get affordable health insuranceexternal icon.
See if you can enroll in or change plans and get answers to common questions.
- Learn about the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
The ACA created several changes that expand access to coverage for people with HIV.
- Learn about Patient Assistance and Expanded Access Programsexternal icon.
Find prescription drug assistance information and learn about current expanded access trials.
Find Housing and Job Resources
- Learn about the Housing Opportunities for Persons With AIDS (HOPWA) Programexternal icon.
HOPWA is the only Federal program dedicated to addressing the housing needs of people with HIV.
- Find affordable housing opportunitiesexternal icon.
If you are homeless, at risk of becoming homeless, or know someone who is, you might be eligible for housing assistance.
- Find questions and answers about housing assistanceexternal icon.
Find out what housing programs are available for people with HIV and learn about eligibility requirements.
- Get advice on getting a new job or returning to workexternal icon.
Find out how to return to work and learn about your right to request reasonable accommodations.
- Find resources on employment options for people with HIVexternal icon.
View toolkits, read success stories, and find resource guides for entering or returning the workforce.
- Learn how to reduce stigma and prevent discrimination against employees with HIV.
Get tailored resources and tools from CDC’s Business Responds to AIDS program.
Get Help with Legal Issues
- Find states that have HIV-specific criminal lawsexternal icon.
Access resources about disclosure, confidentiality, and the law from the Center for HIV Law and Policyexternal icon.
- Get information about HIV discriminationexternal icon.
Learn about how the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) protects people who are discriminated against because they have HIV or have a relationship with someone with HIV.
- File an HIV discrimination complaintexternal icon.
File an ADA complaint related to HIV discrimination in employment or housing.
Find Mental Health Treatment
- Find mental health treatment programsexternal icon.
View a list of organizations and contact numbers that can help you find mental health treatment and support in your local area.
- Learn about depressionexternal icon.
Get information about depression’s causes, symptoms, and treatments.
Learn about HIV Stigma and Discrimination
Find Traveling Resources
- Learn about travel health guidelines for immunocompromised travelers.
CDC’s Yellow Book provides pretravel vaccine recommendations and destination-specific health advice.
- Get travel advice and resources.
CDC’s Travelers’ Health page helps you locate travel clinics near you, get travel notices for your destination, and learn about vaccinations and precautions.
Living With HIV Topics
Page last reviewed: April 7, 2021