Key Steps of the Application Process
Below are key steps of the application process.
- Develop an internal strategy for developing the application.
Identify the requirements, outline internal deadlines, engage appropriate stakeholders, and develop the writing approach.
- Work towards the submission date.
Review the NOFO carefully; some applications must be postmarked by a specific date while other applications must be received by a specific date.
- When writing, think like a reviewer.
Use language that can be easily understood by peer reviewers, scientists, and the public. Create a well-structured, readable application.
- Complete required registrations [Completion of registration can take 3-14 business days.]
- Download the grant application package from Grants.govexternal icon.
- Complete and submit the grant application package to Grants.govexternal icon.
Save changes to your application as you go. Grants.gov does not automatically save changes. The package cannot be submitted until all required fields are populated. Click the “Save & Submit” button on the grant application package cover page.
- Track and submitexternal icon your application package
using the tracking number provided on the submission confirmation screen. For other submitted application tracking FAQs, visit Grants.govexternal icon.
- Resources to assist you in the application process
Page last reviewed: June 29, 2021
Content source: Office of Financial Resources (OFR)