System for Award Management (SAM) Registration

All applicants must have an active System for Award Management (SAM) registration at the time of the application. Applicants and recipients submit common certification and representation requirements through SAM and do not submit forms directly to CDC. As part of the federal government’s April 4, 2022, transition to the Unique Entity Identifier (UEI) from the Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS), a UEI is issued through SAM registration and will be used in place of DUNS, effective April 4, 2022. Please follow the steps below to register and renew certification annually. To keep your SAM registration active, be sure to renew at least once each year. Renewal can take 5 days or longer if incomplete or incorrect information is provided. If your registration expires, you cannot submit a grant application until it is renewed.

  1. Go to SAMexternal icon (System for Award Management).
  2. Select Create User Account or Register/Update Entity and complete the form, which will take about an hour.
  3. You must have your DUNS number until April 4, 2022, and other information about your organization, including its Tax ID number, which is the same as an Employer Identification Number (EIN). If you do not have an EIN, Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) Onlineexternal icon and get your EIN immediately. You will also need to provide “core data,” such as the business start date, Congressional district and physical and mailing addresses.
  4. You will also need to provide points of contact and designate an E-Business Point of Contact (E-Biz POC) and a Marketing Partner Identification Number (MPIN). The MPIN is your organization’s personal code that acts as a password and will later be used by the E-BIZ POC to approve Authorized Organization Representatives (AORs) in
  5. After you submit your SAM registration and your information is validated, you will receive an email from letting you know your registration is active. logo
Page last reviewed: December 15, 2021