About Fungal Diseases
Fungi are everywhere. Sometimes, they are too small to see with the naked eye. Fungi live:
Outdoors, for example, in soil and on plants
Indoors, on surfaces and in the air
On people’s skin and inside the body
There are millions of fungal species, but only a few hundred of them can make people sick. Molds, yeasts, and mushrooms are all types of fungi.
Fungi can cause many different types of illnesses, including:
- Asthma or allergies. Learn more about mold and how it can affect your health.
- Rashes or infections on the skin and nails
- Lung infections (pneumonia), with symptoms similar to the flu or tuberculosis
- Bloodstream infections
- Meningitis from outdoor environmental exposure
- Meningitis from healthcare exposure