Overdose Data to Action: LOCAL
Overdose Data to Action: Limiting Overdose through Collaborative Actions in Localities (OD2A: LOCAL) funds 40 city, county, and territorial health departments to build a strong foundation of cooperation and partnership across public health, behavioral health, health systems, community organizations, and public safety. This is necessary to build cohesive programs that that reach people throughout communities and close gaps in access to services.
OD2A: LOCAL was structured to provide jurisdictions flexible resources to improve the surveillance of nonfatal and fatal drug overdoses and to collect and access data to inform and enhance local prevention activities.
OD2A: LOCAL was designed to empower cities, counties, and territories to:
- Use data to inform and tailor prevention strategies, with emphasis on reaching groups disproportionately affected by the overdose epidemic, at highest risk of overdose, and those historically underserved by prevention programs
- Ensure implementation of culturally relevant interventions and equitable delivery of prevention services, informed through data and ongoing engagement with the populations programs are intended to serve
- Develop and grow multisectoral partnerships to strengthen the local overdose response
OD2A: LOCAL supports communities in addressing the overdose crisis through evidence-based prevention programs, harm reduction, and implementation of the 2022 CDC Clinical Practice Guideline for Prescribing Opioids for Pain.
- Required: Overdose surveillance infrastructure
- Optional and competitive: Toxicologic testing of drug products and/or paraphernalia
- Optional and competitive: Surveillance of linkage to and retention in care
- Required in community, public safety, and healthcare settings: Linkage to and retention in care
- Required in community, public safety, and healthcare settings: Harm reduction
- Required in healthcare settings: Clinician and health systems best practices
- Optional: Stigma reduction
- Optional: Health IT enhancements