Lightning: Additional Information
Visit the following Web sites for more information about lightning strikes:
- National Weather Service: Lightning Safetyexternal icon
- FEMA: Thunderstorms and Lightningexternal icon
- American Red Cross: Thunderstorm Safetyexternal icon
- Lightning Strike and Electronic Shock Survivors International (LSESSI)external icon
- NIOSH: Hazards to Outdoor Workers
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Reports (MMWR)
CDC has published the following MMWR articles on lightning strikes.
- Lightning-Associated Injuries and Deaths Among Military Personnel — United States, 1998-2001
MMWR 2002 / 51(38);859-862
- Lightning-Associated Deaths — United States, 1980-1995
MMWR 1998 / 47(19);391-394
Journal Articles and Books
Consult the following journal articles and books for more information on lightning strikes.
- Adekoya N, Nolte KB. Struck-by-lightning deaths in the United States. Journal of Environmental Health 2005;67(9):45–50.
- Cherington M. Spectrum of neurologic complications of lightning injuries. NeuroRehabilitation 2005;20:3–8.
- Curran EB, Holle RL, Lopez RE. Lightning causalities and damages in the United States from 1959 to 1994. Journal of Climate 2000;13:3448–3464.
- Fantus RB, Fildes J. Zeus on the 18th hole. Bulletin of the American College of Surgeons 2006;91(12):34–35.
- Gratz J, Noble E. Lightning safety and large stadiums. American Meteorological Society 2006;1188–1194.
- Gutierrez JJG, Melendez J, Torrero JV, Obregon O, Uceda M, Gabilondo FJ. Lightning injuries in pregnant woman: A case report and review of the literature. Burns 2005;31:1045–1049.
- Ritenour AE, Morton MJ, McManus JG, Barillo DJ, Cancio LC. Lightning injury: A review. Burns 2008;34:585–594.
- Zafren K, Durrer B, Herry J, Brugger H. Lightning injuries: Prevention and on-site treatment in mountains and remote areas. Official guidelines of the International Commission for Mountain Emergency Medicine and the Medical Commission of the International Mountaineering and Climbing Federation (ICAR and UIAA MEDCOM). Resuscitation 2005;25:369–372.
- Zimmermann C, Cooper MA, Holle RL. Lightning safety guidelines. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2002;39(6):660–665.