Tier 1: Promote Awareness of Prediabetes and the National DPP Among Patients at Risk
Promoting awareness of prediabetes and the National DPP is a simple, low-cost first step you can take to get involved in type 2 diabetes prevention efforts. By taking advantage of foot traffic and waiting periods within the pharmacy, you have a unique opportunity to educate patients about prediabetes and the National DPP LCP.
For example, you can:
- Increase your patient population’s awareness of prediabetes. This often-reversible condition affects about 98 million US adults, most of whom do not know they have it. Help your patients understand how they can prevent prediabetes from developing into type 2 diabetes.
- Increase your patients’ knowledge of the National DPP. This yearlong program was developed to prevent or delay the onset of type 2 diabetes in adults who have prediabetes or who are at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Learn about the supporting evidence for the National DPP.
CDC and its partners have developed many resources to promote awareness of prediabetes and the National DPP. These resources and promotional materials can be used within your pharmacy or patient care setting. This section provides links to these resources and suggestions on how to use them.
Print materials can be used in the pharmacy setting in the following ways:
- Display on bulletin boards or walls.
- Give to patients who are picking up medications.
- Display brochures and handouts on counters and tables in waiting rooms or other areas with heavy foot traffic.
- Use flyers as “bag stuffers” when distributing medications.
CDC Promotional Materials
CDC has developed materials specifically designed for pharmacists and pharmacies to help them spread awareness of prediabetes and type 2 diabetes and to refer or enroll patients in an LCP (in-person or virtual). These materials are available on CDC’s Summary of National DPP Pharmacy Resources web page, including:
- Advance Your Pharmacy and Your Community video
- Make an Impact at Your Pharmacy video
- How Pharmacists Can Help Prevent Type 2 Diabetes video
- Fight Type 2 Diabetes at Your Pharmacy brochure
- Pharmacy Health and Wellness Services template
- Could You Have Prediabetes? flyer (English)
- Could You Have Prediabetes? flyer (Spanish)
AMA Promotional Materials
Health care teams can use materials developed by the American Medical Association (AMA) to help prevent type 2 diabetes by referring patients to an in-person or virtual LCP. Several of these materials are available on the AMA Diabetes Prevention Toolkit website, including:
You can use digital platforms—such as televisions, computers, or tablets—in your pharmacy to display video content.
Any of the promotional materials provided in this guide can be shared on social media to promote the National DPP. Consider posting these materials on special dates, such as Diabetes Alert Day® (4th Tuesday in March) or World Diabetes Day (November 14), or during Diabetes Awareness Month (November).
National Prediabetes Awareness Campaign
This campaign was developed by CDC, AMA, and the Ad Council. Audience members are directed to an interactive website where they can learn about prediabetes and type 2 diabetes prevention. The campaign includes public service announcements (PSAs) in the form of posters that pharmacies can print and display or videos that can be embedded in digital newsletters, emails, and other online communications shared with customers and patients.
Pharmacies can also place PSAs in local media, but the Ad Council requires that all costs for media placement be donated. More information about the campaign and its materials can be accessed online on the Type 2 Diabetes Prevention section of the Ad Council’s Digital PSA Library.
Pharmacy Guide Pages
- Why Should You Participate?
- ›Tier 1: Promote Awareness of Prediabetes and the National DPP Among Patients at Risk
- Tier 2: Screen, Test, Refer, and Enroll Patients
- Tier 3: Offer the National DPP Lifestyle Change Program
- How to Sustain Your Program