Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit
At a Glance
The Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit is a comprehensive guide for health care providers on recommendations and best practices for:
- Managing vaccine inventory and transport
- Storing and preparing vaccine
- Monitoring vaccine temperature
- Using and maintaining storage unit and temperature monitoring equipment
- Preparing for emergency storage, handling, and transport situations
- Developing standard operating procedures for routine and emergency vaccine management and training staff
View or Print Toolkit
Use this link to view or print the Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit [2MB, 82 pages] January 2018
The Vaccine Storage and Handling Toolkit reflects best practices for vaccine storage and handling from Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommendations, product information from vaccine manufacturers, and scientific studies.
The 2018 Toolkit is designed to help health care providers find the information they need quickly and easily. The beginning chapters address the three main elements of an effective cold chain: a well-trained staff, reliable storage and temperature monitoring equipment, and accurate vaccine inventory management. The remaining chapters focus on emergency management of vaccine and developing plans and standard operating procedures for routine and emergency storage and handling.
Note: For more detailed information on storage and handling recommendations and guidance for individual vaccines, please refer to manufacturers’ package inserts found on the Immunization Action Coalition (IAC) website.
- You Call the Shots: Vaccine Storage and Handling Module is an interactive, web-based module which provides learning opportunities, self-test practice questions, reference and resource materials, and an extensive glossary. Continuing education or a certificate of completion available.
- Page last reviewed: May 16, 2018
- Page last updated: January 2, 2018
- Content source: