National Healthcare Safety Network provides online access to complete the continuing education (CE) certificate process. This process includes registration for a course on the CDC Training and Continuing Education Online system, completing the course posttest and assessment, and printing of the CE certificate. To receive CE, participants must complete this process online.
You must submit your answers online before the stated expiration date to be eligible to receive continuing education credit. Please check each course for expiration dates.
Obtaining Continuing Education for NHSN Training Events
- Once you completed viewing the courses, go to CDC Training and Continuing Education Online.
- If you have not registered as a participant, click on New Participant to create a user ID and password; otherwise click on Participant Login and login.
- If you have registered in this system before, please use the same login name and password. This will ensure an accurate transcript.
- Once you have logged in, you will be on the Participant Services page. Click on Search and Register. Then click on the second option keyword search and enter the course number. You can only register and enter one course at a time.
- Click on the course title (at the bottom of the page). The course information page will come up. Scroll down to Register Here. Click on the type of CE that you would like to receive and then Submit. Three demographic questions will come up. Complete the questions and then Submit.
- From Participant Services, click on Evaluations and Tests.
- Complete the course evaluation and Submit. Once you hit submit, it will give you the option of completing the posttest. The posttest for each training course is very brief.
- Upon achieving a passing posttest score (of 80% or higher), you will be able to immediately print your continuing education certificate from your personal transcript. If you do not post a passing score, you may retake the test.
- A record of your completion will be located in the transcript and certificate section of your record.
- If you have any questions or problems contact CDC Training and Continuing Education Online at: 1-800-418-7246 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continuing Education Resources
NHSN Web streaming / Webinar Events
2017 NHSN Training
Continuing Education Information
- General NHSN Definitions for 2017
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Data Validation
Bloodstream Infection (BSI)
- CLABSI Definition and Case Studies
- Secondary BSI, Site-Specific Infection Definitions
- Ventilator Associated Events
- Ventilator Associated Events (cont’d.)
Surgical Site Infection (SSI)
- SSI Surveillance and Case Studies
- SSI Surveillance with Case Studies (cont’d.)
MRSA & CDI LabID
- Introduction to the NHSN Re-baseline
- The NHSN Re-Baseline: In Depth
- Introduction to NHSN Analysis
- TAP Reports: Targeted Assessment for Prevention Using Data for Action
- NHSN Analysis: Focus on Device-associated Data SIR for CLABSI, CAUTI, and VAE
- Advanced Analysis: Focus on SSI
- Analyzing MRSA Bacteremia and CDI LabID Event Data
- WD2798 – NHSN Rebaseline Webinar, Part 1
- WD2798 – NHSN Rebaseline Webinar, Part 2
- WD2686 – Updating the national risk-adjustment of HAI Data
Long-term Care Facilities (LTCF)
- Infection Surveillance and Prevention in Long-term Care: A National Perspective
- Overview of Using NHSN to Track and Report Infections in LTCF
- Using the LTCF LabID Event Module for C. difficile Infection Surveillance
- Using the LTCF LabID Event Module for MDRO Surveillance and Reporting
- Using the LTCF HAI Module for UTI Surveillance and Reporting
- Data for Action: How can NHSN data be used to guide prevention efforts in LTCF?
- Healthcare Personnel Safety in Long-term Care Settings
Antimicrobial Use & Resistance (AUR)
- Antibiotic Stewardship: Optimizing Antibiotic Use in the Inpatient Setting
- Antimicrobial Use and Resistance Module Protocol
- Standardized Antibiotic Administration Ratio
Self-Paced Interactive Training
Device- Associated Module (WB2594)
- Introduction to Device-associated Module Training [CBT – 60 min]
- CLABSI Training [CBT – 60 min]
- CAUTI Training [CBT – 60 min]
- Ventilator Associated Pneumonia
- CLIP Training [CBT – 60 min]
- Registration for Evaluation & Post-test
- WB2594 Continuing Education Information [PDF – 343K]
- Dialysis Event Surveillance 2016
- Dialysis Course CE Registration – Evaluation only (post-test completed with online training)
Procedure-associated Module (WB2312)
- Introduction to Procedure-associated Module Training
- Surgical Site Infections (SSI) Training [CBT – 60 min]
- Registration and Evaluation Post-Test
- WB2312 Continuing Education Information [PDF – 332K]
LabID Module (WB2350)
Continuing education is available free of charge for all NHSN education course work.
|Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME>®)||
CME: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME®) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
CNE: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is accredited as a provider of Continuing Nursing Education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
CPH: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a pre-approved provider of Certified in Public Health (CPH) recertification credits and is authorized to offer CPH recertification credits for this program.
CEU: The CDC is authorized by IACET to offer IACET CEU’s for this program.
Disclaimer and Disclosure
Use of trade names in NHSN products is for identification purposes only and does not imply endorsement by the National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) or the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
In compliance with continuing education requirements, all presenters must disclose any financial or other associations with the manufacturers of commercial products, suppliers of commercial services, or commercial supporters as well as any use of unlabeled product(s) or product(s) under investigational use. CDC, our planners, and the presenters for this seminar do not have financial or other associations with the manufacturers of commercial products, suppliers of commercial services, or commercial supporters. This presentation does not involve the unlabeled use of a product or product under investigational use. There was no commercial support for this activity.
- Page last reviewed: April 5, 2017
- Page last updated: July 5, 2017
- Content source: