Applying Best Practices for Reporting Medical and Health Information on Birth Certificates
Discover your role in improving maternal and infant health information in the United States. This course is designed to increase your knowledge of the importance of and best practices for reporting birth certificate and report of fetal death information. Course content, developed by state and national vital statistics experts, covers the latest national guidelines for reporting this information. Continuing education and certificates of completion are available for this course.
The target audience for this course is physicians, nurses, and non-clinical staff at hospitals or free-standing birthing centers who are responsible for completing the medical and health information for the certificate of live birth and report of fetal death.
The course will take approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour to complete.
At the conclusion of the course, you will be able to:
- Determine when a birth certificate or report of fetal death should be completed
- Explain the benefits of reporting accurate medical and health information for the birth certificate and report of fetal death
- Describe how the birth certificate and report of fetal death information is collected and protected
- Describe the standard resources available for completing medical and health information for the birth certificate and report of fetal death
- Identify approaches for improving the data quality of medical and health information for the birth certificate and report of fetal death at your facility
- Apply criteria from the "Guide to Completing the Facility Worksheets for the Certificate of Live Birth and Report of Fetal Death" to ensure accurate reporting of this information
Instructions for Completing the Course:
- Launch training. Training will open a separate window or tab.
- After viewing the course, select from the boxes below to receive either continuing education (CE) or a certificate of completion.*
- After registering for either CE or a certificate of completion, set aside at least 15 minutes for postcourse activities (i.e., posttest and course evaluation).
* This course is eligible for CE. Completion of the registration, course evaluation, and posttest is required to receive CE or a certificate of completion.
- Hard drive minimum – 250 GB
- Memory minimum – 4 GB
- Processor minimum – Core i5
- Adobe Reader version 11
- Popup blocker disabled
Division of Vital Statistics,
National Center for Health Statistics,
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Phone: (301) 458-4111
- Guide to Completing the Facility Worksheets for the Certificate of Live Birth and Report of Fetal Death [PDF - 582 KB]
- Information on revisions to the U.S. Standard Certificates of Birth and Death and Fetal Death Report
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee Opinion Number 639, September 2015 on “The Importance of Vital Records and Statistics for the Obstetrician-Gynecologist.”
- Page last reviewed: October 28, 2016
- Page last updated: October 28, 2016
- Content source: CDC, National Center for Health Statistics