State Definitions and Reporting Requirements for Live Births, Fetal Deaths, and Induced Terminations of Pregnancy
The National Center for Health Statistics has just released an updated version of “State Definitions and Reporting Requirements for Live Birth, Fetal Deaths, and Induced Termination of Pregnancy.” This publication sets forth the following requirements for all vital registration areas of the United States:
- Current definition of live birth
- Current definition of fetal death (stillbirths)
- Period of gestation at which a fetal death must be reported
- Current definition of induced termination of pregnancy (ITOP)
- When ITOP must be reported
Copies of this report can be obtained from the National Center for Health Statistics, 3311 Toledo Road, Room 5407, Hyattsville, MD 20782.