Are you or someone you know living with a birth defect? Share your story!
Your story could help provide support to other families or individuals.
CDC is looking for a variety of experiences and perspectives on living with different birth defects. View our story webpage for examples.
If you have submitted a story to us in the past, we’d love an update on how you and your family are doing today!
In your submission, please include a story of 500-700 words and a large, high-quality photo, if possible.
Below are some questions to help you develop your story.
If you are living with a birth defect:
- Which birth defect(s) are you living with?
- Have you experienced any challenges as you have grown up?
- What ongoing care have you needed?
- What care have you needed as you transition into adulthood?
- Do you believe birth defects research is important? If so, why?
- What advice would you give others living with these conditions and their families/support system?
- What do you want the rest of the world to know about people living with birth defects?
If you have a child or sibling with a birth defect:
- What was it like when you learned of their diagnosis? At what age were they diagnosed?
- How has their birth defect affected your family?
- Why is birth defects research important to you?
- What advice do you have for other family members who are caring for a child with a birth defect—whether the child has been recently diagnosed or has been living with a birth defect for some time?
- What do you want the rest of the world to know about caring for someone living with a birth defect?
CDC reviews all stories prior to posting and reserves the right to edit them as needed.
Because of the volume of submissions, not all stories will be immediately posted online, and may be posted on a rotating schedule.
Before a story is posted online or via social media, CDC will forward you a waiver to sign that gives CDC permission to share your pictures and story. A copy of the story (possibly edited) will also be shared with you for your review prior to posting. Note: all stories may not be posted online.
We ask that if there are changes to your story, to please share updates in the years ahead!