Funded Injury Control Research Centers (ICRCs)
The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital
Director: Gary A. Smith, MD, DrPH
Address: 700 Children’s Drive, Research Bldg. III, Columbus, OH 43205
Website: http://www.nationwidechildrens.org/injury-research-and-policyexternal icon
The Center for Injury Research and Policy (CIRP) at Nationwide Children’s Hospital is the only ICRC focusing on research and prevention of injuries to children and adolescents.
CIRP conducts research in all three core phases of injury control (prevention, acute care and rehabilitation) and serves as an academic training center for students from high school through post-graduate levels as well as for visiting international scholars. Trans-disciplinary research conducted at CIRP includes the fields of medicine, public health, epidemiology, law and criminal justice, behavioral and social sciences, biostatistics, biomechanics, ergonomics and economics.
The Center for Injury Research and Policy (CIRP) of The Research Institute at Nationwide Children’s Hospital works globally to reduce injury-related pediatric death and disability. With innovative research at its core, CIRP works to continually improve scientific understanding of the epidemiology, biomechanics, prevention, acute treatment and rehabilitation of injuries. CIRP serves as a pioneer by translating cutting edge injury research into education, advocacy and advances in clinical care. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) designated the CIRP as an Injury Control Research Center in 2008.
Prevent Child Injury: Stair Safety Toolkitexternal icon
Core Research Projects
- ACEs & Opioid Overdose — Opioid Overdoses and Child Abuse and Neglect
- Motor Vehicle Crashes — A Hybrid Effectiveness-Implementation Trial to Improve Safe Driving Among Teen Drivers With Traffic Violations
- Motor Vehicle Crashes — Behind the Wheel Smartphone Application: Utilizing Technology to Quantify Driving Behaviors and Promote Safe Driving in Adolescents
- Suicide — Targeting Adolescent Insomnia to Lessen Overall Risk of Suicidal Behavior
Exploratory Research Project
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) — Using Virtual Technologies to Prevent Injuries in Adolescents With TBI