Toolkit for Providing HIV Prevention Services to Transgender Women of Color
The Toolkit for Providing HIV Prevention Services to Transgender Women of Color is a technical assistance guide that community-based organizations (CBOs) and similar organizations can use to support their HIV prevention services for transgender women of color (WOC).
About the Toolkit for Providing HIV Prevention Services to Transgender Women of Color
The Toolkit for Providing HIV Prevention Services to Transgender Women of Color describes best practices that CBOs and other HIV prevention service organizations can follow and adapt for their needs when providing HIV prevention services for transgender WOC. The toolkit is subdivided into 11 topics, which broadly cover concepts relevant to the health and well-being of transgender WOC, and which relate to providing HIV prevention services for this population. Each topic includes a brief overview, best practices for service delivery, and resources for additional information. The topics covered in the toolkit include:
- Assessing Community Needs
- Providing Client-Centered Care and Services
- Hiring and Supporting Transgender WOC Staff
- Creating Transgender-Affirming Environments
- Developing Outreach, Recruitment, and Retention Systems and Services
- Implementing Evidence-Based Interventions and Homegrown Programs
- Conducting Program Evaluation and Improvement
- Engaging Transgender WOC in HIV Prevention and Testing
- Providing Primary Care (including HIV Care) to Transgender WOC
- Addressing Mental and Behavioral Health Needs of Transgender WOC
- Building Community Partnerships and Referrals
The toolkit concludes with a description of the elements of model programs that, when replicated, can help organizations achieve their programmatic goals as related to transgender WOC.
The intended audience for this toolkit is staff at CBOs, health departments, clinics, and organizations that currently provide, or are planning to provide, HIV prevention services for transgender WOC. Staff at all levels of an organization may use the toolkit, including those at the executive level, program managers, and frontline staff. It is also intended for clinical providers and staff that provide the range of social support services that are needed by transgender WOC. A version of this toolkit is available in Spanish.
Toolkit for Providing HIV Prevention Services to Transgender Women of Color Training
Technical assistance for implementing topics or elements from the toolkit is available.
To request technical assistance:
- CDC’s directly funded health department and CBO partners may request technical assistance by submitting a request in the CBA Tracking System.
- Organizations not directly funded by CDC may contact their local health department for assistance in submitting a request.
If you have questions or need additional assistance, please contact DHAPCBB@cdc.gov.
Implementation and Marketing Materials
The materials and resources listed below support the implementation and/or marketing of the Toolkit for Providing HIV Prevention Services to Transgender Women of Color by health departments, community-based organizations, and health care or other organizations. The resources are evidence-based and designed for cost-effective, scalable implementation.