Fundamentals of Motivational Interviewing for HIV
Motivational Interviewing is an individual client-centered strategy designed to provide information and skills building for healthcare providers who wish to develop motivational interviewing (MI) techniques to improve the relationship with their clients, as well as their ability to implement programs and strategies related to health care access and use.
About Fundamentals of Motivational Interviewing for HIV Training Course
The “Fundamentals of Motivational Interviewing for HIV” training course will introduce learners to the foundational content and skills of MI. This course describes motivational interviewing, explores its effectiveness, and reviews the elements and skills necessary to utilize MI. It gives learners the opportunity to practice the fundamental skills necessary for applying MI during client interactions. This course is offered in two formats—virtual, instructor-led course and live, classroom course.
Course Learning Objectives
- Define motivational interviewing and how the MI approach helps healthcare providers build their relationship with their clients
- Discuss the effectiveness of MI and how it has been applied in HIV prevention and care
- Describe the “spirit” of MI, which communicates compassion, acceptance, partnership, and respect
- Describe and practice the four processes of MI
- Use the core communication skills of MI: open-ended questions, affirmations, reflective listening, and summarizing
- Describe the foundational content of MI
- Build skills to use MI in your client encounters
- Healthcare providers and clinic staff that implement HIV programs and services
- Community-based organizations (CBOs) workforce
- Health department workforce
Fundamentals of Motivational Interviewing for HIV Training
This training has one component:
- 2 five-hour days in a virtual, instructor-led training setting; or
- 2 eight-hour days in a live classroom setting
To view and register for trainings:
- Access the National HIV Classroom Learning Center training calendar hosted on Cicatelli Associates, Inc.’s (CAI’s) website.
- Pre-register for your selected course via the link provided in the training calendar.
- Complete your registration on CDC TRAIN as directed when you receive an email from the National HIV Classroom Learning Center. You must join the HIV CBA Learning Group and locate the HIV CBA Training Plan in order to complete your CDC TRAIN registration for a specific training session (step-by-step instructions are available).
Technical assistance for the implementation of Fundamentals of Motivational Interviewing for HIV is available.
To request technical assistance:
- CDC’s directly funded health department and CBO partners may request technical assistance support by submitting a request in the CBA Tracking System.
- Organizations not directly funded by CDC may contact their local health department for assistance in submitting a training request.
If you have questions or need additional assistance, please contact HIVCBA@cdc.gov.
- Miller WR, Rollnick S. Motivational Interviewing: Helping People Change (3rd ed.). New York City: Guilford Press; 2013.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention-Cicatelli Associates, Inc. Fundamentals of Motivational Interviewing for HIV: Trainer Manual; 2020.