STEPS to Care
STEPS to Care is an online toolkit designed to support diverse agencies with three evidence-informed strategies to improve initial and ongoing client engagement in HIV care.
About STEPS to Care
STEPS to Care supports three key strategies of HIV care coordination:
- Patient Navigation
- Care Team Coordination
- HIV Self-Management
STEPS to Care provides tools that support providers with each of these strategies, which may also be of some interest to clients. My STEPS to Care supports the HIV self-management strategy and is used by clients directly, and can be used by providers with their clients. My STEPS to Care can support newly or previously diagnosed clients. More information is available in this STEPS to Care Overview video:
Considerations for Using STEPS to Care
There are STEPS to Care tools that are designed specifically for your role to support client engagement in HIV Care. We have put together a “Read Me First” file with suggestions about which STEPS to Care tools are best for providers and clients. It is recommended that you work together with your care team to decide which tools would work best given your agency practices.
- For Program Directors: pre-implementation tools that help you establish a budget for your program, gain agency buy-in, and hire and retain the right staff.
- For Care Coordinators: resources for supervising your staff and establishing systems that keep everything running smoothly.
- For Patient Navigators: support the field work and tools for use with and for clients to ensure successful outcomes.
- For Everyone: even if your job description doesn’t fit neatly into one of the categories above, you may find tools that are right for you.
STEPS to Care Training
There is no stand-alone training available for STEPS to Care; however, information on how to use STEPS to Care for patient navigation is covered in the HIV Navigation Services classroom training course. Programs implementing STEPS to Care may suggest that staff take select Passport to Partner Services online modules as well as the Project HEART online module to build or refine skills in communication, providing linkage and referrals, and promoting medication adherence. Passport to Partner Services and Project HEART modules are available on CDC TRAINexternal icon.
Technical assistance for STEPS to Care is available. To request technical assistance:
- CDC’s directly funded health department and CBO partners may request technical assistance by submitting a request in the CBA Tracking System.
- Organizations not directly funded by CDC may contact their local health department for assistance in submitting a request.
If you have questions or need additional assistance, please contact DHAPCBB@cdc.gov.
Implementation and Marketing Materials
Use the Agency Readiness Assessment pdf icon[PDF – 219 KB] to identify the preparations necessary to implement STEPS to Care in your agency.
Access the STEPS to Care Dashboard to learn about the three STEPS strategies and how they work together, and to find related tools, templates, and guidance.
Access MY STEPS to Care to find materials you can use with your Patient Navigator to become adherent to medical care and manage your health.