Sin Buscar Excusas/No Excuses
Sin Buscar Excusas/No Excuses is a video-based HIV prevention intervention for Hispanic/Latino gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM). Sin Buscar Excusas/No Excuses aims to increase sexual safety and HIV testing and care among Hispanic/Latino MSM.
About Sin Buscar Excusas/No Excuses
Sin Buscar Excusas/No Excuses is a 60-minute, single-session, small-group, video-based behavioral intervention that aims to increase sexual safety and HIV testing and care among Hispanic/Latino gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM). Sexual safety includes having fewer partners, using condoms consistently, engaging in less risky sexual behaviors, using pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) or post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) as needed, and communicating with one’s partner about monogamy or HIV status.
Sin Buscar Excusas/No Excuses can be implemented in various settings, including clinics and community agencies.
Intervention Core Elements
- Viewing of a Spanish- or English-language video in a small-group setting that ensures privacy and confidentiality.
- Structured, small-group, brief discussion about barriers and strategies to increase sexual safety and HIV testing and care.
- Condom distribution, the offer of an HIV test, and referrals for services (including PrEP, PEP, medication adherence, substance use/harm reduction programs, case management, and additional services in linking to care).
- Hispanic/Latino gay and bisexual men and other MSM who are ages 18 and older.
Sin Buscar Excusas/No Excuses Training
This training has one component:
- One 2-day classroom training
To view and register for scheduled classroom trainings:
- Access the National HIV Classroom Learning Center training calendarexternal icon hosted on Cicatelli Associates, Inc.’s (CAI’s) website.
- Pre-register for your selected course via the link provided in the training calendar.
- Complete your registration on CDC TRAINexternal icon as directed when you receive an email from the National HIV Classroom Learning Center. You must join the HIV CBA Learning Group and locate the HIV CBA Training Plan in order to complete your CDC TRAIN registration for a specific classroom session (step-by-step instructionspdf iconexternal icon are available).
To access eLearning modules, including classroom training prerequisite courses:
- Log-in to CDC TRAINexternal icon and access the HIV CBA Training Plan (step-by-step instructionspdf iconexternal icon are available).
- Select the module you wish to take.
- Launch the module or save the module for later.
To request that a classroom training be scheduled:
- CDC’s directly funded health department and CBO partners may request delivery of a CDC-supported training by submitting a request in the CBA Tracking System.
- Organizations not directly funded by CDC may contact their local health department for assistance in submitting a training request.
- O’Donnell L, Stueve A, Joseph HA, Flores S. Adapting the VOICES HIV behavioral intervention for Latino men who have sex with men. AIDS Behav 2014;18(4):767–775.