National Public Health Institutes (NPHI)
To better organize and coordinate public health expertise and systems, we are working with countries to strengthen an interconnected base of national public health institutes, like CDC, throughout the world. The goal is a global network of accountable, efficient, proactive, and science-focused public health agencies that use data to drive decision-making and contain global health threats at their source.
A public health bulletin (PHB) is a government’s primary communications channel for timely, reliable, authoritative, accurate, objective, and useful public health information. CDC’s MMWR is an example of a PHB. With funding provided by Bloomberg Philanthropies Data for Health Initiativeexternal icon, CDC created A National Public Health Bulletin: Considerations for its Development pdf icon[PDF – 2.5MB, 36 Pages] for governments interested in producing national PHBs.
The publication is a resource for getting started, and includes the following content:
- Rationale for producing a PHB;
- Qualities that distinguish it from other government-sponsored public health documents;
- Activities and standard operating procedures to produce and distribute a PHB; and,
- Templates of work plans, position descriptions, communication strategies, and budgets.
The Public Health Bulletin Guidance publication is also available in:
- National Public Health Institutes: Leadership in Emergencies(https://www.cdc.gov/globalhealth/stories/nphi-leadership-in-emergencies.html)
- “A Culture of Responding”: Training Course Pays Off for Mozambique(https://www.cdc.gov/globalhealth/healthprotection/nphi/stories/mozambique-training-course.html)
- Colombia’s National Institute of Health Celebrates 100 Years, Opens Public Health Emergency Operations Center(https://www.cdc.gov/globalhealth/healthprotection/nphi/stories/colombia-ins-celebrates-100-years.html)
- U.S. CDC and African Union Cooperation[774 KB, 1 Page](https://www.cdc.gov/globalhealth/healthprotection/nphi/pdf/fact-sheet-moc-african-cdc.pdf)
- Africa CDC – Centres for Disease Control and Preventionexternal icon