Types of Fungal Diseases
Fungi are everywhere. There are millions of different fungal species on Earth, but only about 300 of those are known to make people sick.1-3 Fungal diseases are often caused by fungi that are common in the environment. Fungi live outdoors in soil and on plants and trees as well as on many indoor surfaces and on human skin. Most fungi are not dangerous, but some types can be harmful to health.
- Garcia-Solache MA, Casadevall A. Global warming will bring new fungal diseases for mammals. mBio 2010;1.
- Hawksworth DL. The magnitude of fungal diversity: the 1.5 million species estimate revisited. Mycol Res 2001;105:1422-32.
- Tedersoo L, Bahram M, Põlme S, Kõljalg U, Yorou NS, Wijesundera R, et al. Global diversity and geography of soil fungi. Science. 2014;346(6213)
- Page last reviewed: January 25, 2017
- Page last updated: May 1, 2018
- Content source: