Overdose Data to Action Notice of Funding Opportunity
This page is for state, territorial, and select county or city health departments applying for Overdose Data to Action (RFA-CE19-1904).
Overdose Data to Action is 3-year funding that focuses on the complex and changing nature of the opioid overdose epidemic and highlights the need for an interdisciplinary, comprehensive, and cohesive public health approach. These funds will support states, territories, cities, and counties in obtaining high quality, more comprehensive, and timelier data on overdose morbidity and mortality, and use those data to inform prevention and response efforts.
Applicants will focus on two components:
- Surveillance – Within the surveillance component, required strategies for state health departments (including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico) to implement include:
- Collecting and disseminating timely emergency department data on suspected all drug, all opioid, heroin, and all stimulant overdoses
- Collecting and disseminating descriptions of drug overdose death circumstances using death certificates and medical examiner / coroner data
- Implementing innovative surveillance activities to support interventions (also applicable to local and territory applicants)
- Prevention – Within the prevention component required strategies for all applicants to implement include:
- Strengthening prescription drug monitoring programs
- Improving state-local integration
- Establishing linkages to care
- Improving provider and health system support
- Optional strategies: Improving partnerships with public safety and first responders; empowering individuals to make safer choices; and providing jurisdictions opportunities for innovative prevention approaches
For detailed information about the strategies and reporting tiers please refer to the Strategies and Activities section in the NOFO.
Resources are available to assist jurisdictions with the application process, including:
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) – posted and updated based on questions received by CDC through informational calls and email.
- FAQs: Part III [PDF – 100 KB] – Contains questions received and answered from March 1 – March 14, 2019.
- FAQs: Funding Award Conditions [PDF – 60 KB] – Contains questions and answers specific to the RxCheck Hub funding award conditions.
- FAQs: Part II [PDF – 107 KB] – Contains questions received and answered from February 20 – March 1, 2019.
- FAQs [PDF – 49 KB] – Contains questions received and answered from February 1 – 19, 2019.
- Budget One-Pagers (Related Documents Tab) – worksheets to assist jurisdictions with the budget planning process and determine eligibility. Please see Appendix 10 of the NOFO.
- Informational Conference Calls – series of webinar/conference calls covering various application topics and intended to address questions.
Please email: OverdoseData2Action@cdc.gov with questions.