Data and Statistics
TB in the United States by the numbers:
9,025: number of reported cases of TB in the United States in 2018 (a rate of 2.8 cases per 100,000 persons)
60: jurisdictions (states, cities, and US territories) in the United States that report TB data to the CDC
Up to 13 million: estimated number of people in the United States living with latent TB infection
Reaching the goal of TB elimination in the United States requires maintaining and strengthening current TB control priorities while increasing efforts to identify and treat latent TB infection among high-risk populations.
Please visit the World Health Organization (WHO)external icon page for global TB data.
- Take on Tuberculosis Infographic and Social Media Graphics
- Customizable Take on TB Infographic with Instructions
- Tuberculosis – United States, 2018
- For local, county, or state specific information, please contact your State TB Control Program
This report contains tabular and graphic information about reported TB cases collected from 60 reporting areas.
2018 State and City Tuberculosis Report is an annual update to the series of reports that present key process and outcome measures for TB control programs in the United States.
TB data from countries with compacts of free association with the United States (Federated States of Micronesia, Republic of the Marshall Islands, and Republic of Palau) can be found in the full report.
Online Tuberculosis Information System (OTIS)
OTIS is an interactive data system containing information on TB cases reported to CDC. Users can select criteria to produce specific reports. Data are available by year, state, and demographic factors.
The NCHHSTP AtlasPlus is an interactive tools for accessing data collected by CDC’s National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention (NCHHSTP).
Reported Tuberculosis in the United States included detailed summary tables and figures as well as an executive commentary describing the epidemiology of tuberculosis in the United States for a given year. The report includes trend data going back decades to the earliest years of national tuberculosis surveillance in the United States.
- National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention (NCHHSTP) State Profiles
- Epidemiology of Tuberculosis in Correctional Facilities, United States, 1993-2017
- Epidemiology of Pediatric Tuberculosis in the United States, 1993-2017 (Slide Set)
- Epidemiology of Tuberculosis Among Non-U.S.–Born Persons in the United States, 1993–2017 (Slide Set)
- Mortality and Morbidity Weekly Reports Data and Statistics
- Data Security and Confidentiality Guidelines for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, Sexually Transmitted Disease, and Tuberculosis Programs: Standards to Facilitate Sharing and Use of Surveillance Data for Public Health Actionpdf icon
- Tuberculosis Surveillance Data Training – Report of Verified Case of Tuberculosis
- Archived Surveillance Reports and Slide Sets
- Latent TB Infection in the United States – Published Estimates