Health Education Curriculum Analysis Tool (HECAT)
The Health Education Curriculum Analysis Tool (HECAT) is an assessment tool developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in partnership with heath education experts from state and local education agencies, schools, colleges and universities, and national organizations.
To access the HECAT and start examining health education curricula, open HECAT online or download the tool components located at the bottom of the page.
- Guidance on using the HECAT to review curricula and using the results to make health education curriculum decisions
- Customizable templates for recording important descriptive curriculum information for state or local use in the curriculum review process
- Tools to analyze preliminary curriculum considerations, such as accuracy, acceptability, feasibility, and affordability
- Tools to analyze curriculum fundamentals, such as learning objectives, curriculum design, culturally responsive and inclusive characteristics, and instructional strategies and materials
- Specific concept and skills analyses by health topic
- Guidance on using the HECAT for developing a health education scope and sequence
- Guidance on using HECAT Online for conducting curricula analysis and developing a health education scope and sequence
Build and strengthen your health education curricula online. HECAT online is a free, interactive tool that allows you to work collaboratively in teams to complete projects related to curriculum analyses, comparing strengths and weaknesses of multiple curricula, and developing a scope and sequence (S&S)pdf icon for health education.
Log in or create an account by clicking on the button.
Health education is a fundamental part of an overall school health program; it provides young people with the knowledge and skills they need to become successful learners and healthy adults.
Choosing or developing the best possible curriculum is an important step towards ensuring quality health education. The HECAT provides a structured and systematic process to improve curriculum selection and development, and is designed for use by:
- Curriculum committees or educators in school districts, schools, or community-based organizations that work with schools.
- State or local education agency staff.
- Other curriculum developers.
- Faculty and students in institutions of higher education teacher preparation programs.
Download the HECAT: 2021 Edition*
To help education professionals understand how they can use the HECAT to analyze and improve health education curricula and programs, CDC developed this tool and related materials. These resources can help schools select or develop appropriate and effective health education curricula and improve the delivery of health education. The HECAT can be customized to meet local community needs and conform to the curriculum requirements of the state or local school district.
- Print version: HECAT Cover pdf icon[PDF – 404 KB]
- Print version: Table of Contents and Acknowledgements pdf icon[PDF – 119 KB]
- Print version: Overview pdf icon[PDF – 290 KB]
- Print version: Chapter 1: General Instructions pdf icon[PDF – 253 KB]
- Print version: Chapter 2: General Curriculum Information pdf icon[PDF – 221 KB]
- Print version: Chapter 3: Overall Summary Forms pdf icon[PDF – 190 KB]
- Print version: Chapter 4: Preliminary Curriculum Considerations pdf icon[PDF – 400 KB]
- Print version: Chapter 5: Curriculum Fundamentals pdf icon[PDF – 274 KB]
- Print version: Chapter 6: Overview of Modules pdf icon[PDF – 108 KB]
- Print version: Alcohol and Other Drugs pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]
- Print version: Food and Nutrition pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]
- Print version: Mental and Emotional Health pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]
- Print version: Personal Health and Wellness pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]
- Print version: Physical Activity pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]
- Print version: Safety pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]
- Print version: Sexual Health pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]
- Print version: Tobacco pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]
- Print version: Violence Prevention pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB]
- Appendix 1: HECAT Contributors pdf icon[PDF – 121 KB]
- Appendix 2: Using the HECAT for the Review of Health Education Resource Materials pdf icon[PDF – 83 KB]
- Appendix 3: HECAT Healthy Behavior Outcomes for Grades Pre-K–12 pdf icon[PDF – 81 KB]
- Appendix 4: HECAT Skill Expectations for Skill Standards 2-8 pdf icon[PDF – 192 KB]
- Appendix 5: Using the HECAT to Develop a Scope and Sequence for Health Education pdf icon[PDF – 207 KB]
- Appendix 6: Using the HECAT to Analyze Curricula for Early Care and Education Programs pdf icon[PDF – 126 KB]
- Appendix 7: Understanding Health Education Assessment pdf icon[PDF – 120 KB]
- Appendix 8: Health Education Improvement Plan Template pdf icon[PDF – 76 KB]
- Glossary pdf icon[PDF – 128 KB]
*If you are having difficulty viewing any information or files on this web page due to difficulties with adaptive technologies, use the “Contact Us” link to request an alternate format of the web site content. You can also contact CDC-INFO at http://www.cdc.gov/info/ , 800-232-4636 or the TTY number at (888) 232-6348 and they will assist you.