Instructions for Submitting Diagnostic Specimens for Testing by the DVBD Bacterial Diseases Branch Diagnostic and Reference Team
Within the Division of Vector-Borne Diseases, the diagnostic laboratory in the Bacterial Diseases Branch serves as a national reference diagnostic laboratory for bacterial diseases caused by Yersinia pestis, Bartonella henselae, Bartonella quintana, Francisella species, and Borrelia species. Our testing is provided free-of-charge to approved agencies.
Specimen submission guidelines
- Samples should be sent through your local or state public health laboratory or with their approval. Final reports of test results are returned to the local or state public health laboratory who is responsible for providing these reports to the primary submitter.
- Specimens must be accompanied by CDC Specimen Submission Form (CDC 50.34). Separate forms should be submitted for each test requested for an individual patient. Required information to be included on each submission form is listed under each specific test in the CDC test directory (links below).
- Packages should be mailed for receipt Tuesday-Friday and should take into consideration US federal holidays. Shipments are not received on holidays or on the weekend.
- Additional information including sample types, volume requirements, specimen handling, turnaround time and points of contact can be found by clicking the specific test below. You will be redirected to the CDC test directory.
- Test codes for BDB DRT samples:
Test codes for BDB DRL samples Bartonella henselae/B quintana Indirect Fluorescent Antibody (IFA) CDC-10486 Bartonella quintana Molecular Detection CDC-10554 Bartonella Special Study CDC-10297 Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme Disease) Serology CDC-10298 Borrelia Culture and Identification CDC-10299 Borrelia hermsii (Tick-borne Relapsing Fever) Serology CDC-10399 Borrelia Molecular Detection – Relapsing Fever CDC-10532 Borrelia Special Study CDC-10300 Francisella tularensis Culture and Identification CDC-10313 Francisella tularensis Molecular Detection CDC-10546 Francisella tularensis Serology CDC-10314 Francisella tularensis Special Study CDC-10315 Yersinia pestis Culture and Identification CDC-10418 Yersinia pestis Molecular Detection CDC-10547 Yersinia pestis Serology CDC-10419 Yersinia pestis Special Study CDC-10420