EHS-Net Study Tools
Study tools describe in detail how the studies were conducted. The tools can include study protocols, data collection instruments, and data collection instructions. When applicable, these studies were reviewed before initiation by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Institutional Review Board at its Human Research Protection Office and the Office of Management and Budget for Paperwork Reduction Act compliance.
These study tools are posted to increase transparency and aid future research. We strongly encourage you to read the publications based on these studies before reviewing these study tools or using them to develop your own studies.
- Beef Grinding Logs Study pdf icon[PDF – 76 KB] describes recordkeeping practices concerning beef grinding activities in retail establishments.
- Chicken-Handling Practices Study pdf icon[PDF – 804 KB] describes chicken handling and cooking practices in restaurants.
- Egg-Handling Practices Study pdf icon[PDF – 96 KB] describes high-risk egg-handling practices and policies in restaurants.
- Ground Beef Handling Practices Study pdf icon[PDF – 358 KB] describes ground beef handling practices and the use of irradiated ground beef in restaurants.
- Leafy Greens Study pdf icon[PDF – 479 KB] describes the storage and preparation policies and practices of leafy greens prepared for raw consumption in restaurants.
- Tomato Handling Practices Study pdf icon[PDF – 508 KB] describes tomato-handling practices in restaurants.
- Food Cooling Practices Study pdf icon[PDF – 394 KB] describes cooling practices of potentially hazardous foods in restaurants.
- Hand-Hygiene Study pdf icon[PDF – 409 KB] describes restaurant food workers’ hand hygiene practices and identifies factors associated with safe hand hygiene practices.
- Ill Food Worker Study pdf icon[PDF – 420 KB] describes the frequency with which food workers work in restaurants while experiencing vomiting or diarrhea and identifies factors associated with working with these symptoms.
- Kitchen Manager Certification Study pdf icon[PDF – 346 KB] describes relationships among restaurant staff food safety certification, food safety knowledge, and restaurant characteristics.
- Microwave Use Study pdf icon[PDF – 111 KB] describes microwave oven use in restaurants.
- Retail Deli Study pdf icon[PDF – 1 MB] describes and identifies factors linked with retail deli food safety practices.
- Food Allergen Study pdf icon[PDF – 228 KB] describes and identifies factors linked with food allergen knowledge, attitudes, and practices of restaurant staff.