Current HAI data reports are available on this page. For previous HAI reports, please visit the Data Archive page.
From the National and State Healthcare-Associated Infections Progress Report
- Nationally, among acute care hospitals there was about 8-12% statistically significant decrease in CAUTI, CLABSI, and hospital onset C. difficile infections between 2017 and 2018, and there was no significant change in VAE, SSI, or hospital onset MRSA bacteremia.
- Highlights of 2018 state performance compared to the 2015 national Baseline SIR of 1:
- 49 states performed better on at least two infection types
- No state performed worse on at least two infection types
See: Current HAI Progress Report for more information about national and state-level HAI data, measured using the standardized infection ratio (SIR).
From the HAI Hospital Prevalence Survey
- On any given day, about 1 in 31 hospital patients has at least one healthcare-associated infection. Patients in the 2015 HAI Hospital Prevalence survey were at least 16% less likely than patients in the 2011 survey to have an HAI.
- 3% of hospitalized patients in the 2015 survey had one or more HAI.
- There were an estimated 687,000 HAIs in U.S. acute care hospitals in 2015. About 72,000 hospital patients with HAIs died during their hospitalizations.
The Antibiotic Resistance & Patient Safety Portal (AR&PSP) is an interactive web-based application that was created to innovatively display data collected through CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) and other sources. It offers enhanced data visualizations through 4 main components:
- Antibiotic Resistance (AR), Antibiotic Use, Antibiotic Stewardship – with data from NHSN (AR data and Antibiotic Stewardship), and Xponent database from Quintiles IMS (Antibiotic Use)
- Healthcare-Associated Infections – data display for the National and State Healthcare-Associated Infections Progress Report
- Geographic Location – for the nation and a state, view HAI data, AR data, and Antibiotic Stewardship data together on one page
- Data Explorer (beta) – create custom charts across the available data by selecting groups, filters, and visualization types
The EIP HAIC has published the following current data reports:
- Current HAI Hospital Prevalence Survey: Changes in the prevalence of healthcare-associated infections in U.S. hospitalsexternal icon
- See also: HAI and Antibiotic Use Prevalence Survey
- 2017 Annual Report for the Emerging Infections Program for C. difficile Infection
- See also: C. difficile Infection (CDI) Tracking
- Multi-site Gram-negative Surveillance Initiative
- Invasive Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA/MSSA) Infection Tracking