CDC’s Regional Offices Around the World
Regional offices, similar to our country offices, support the agency to prevent, detect and respond rapidly, efficiently, and effectively to health threats wherever they occur. This creates a world where people – in the United States and around the globe – live healthier, safer, and longer lives. Regional offices are part of a CDC network of regional and country offices in over 70 countries.
Incorporating a regional approach to CDC’s work in countries around the world further strengthens the agency’s ability to advance global health security, implement a sustainable, long-term overseas structure, and expand the reach of its technical assistance and programs. It also further strengthens CDC’s ability to respond rapidly to disease outbreaks, efficiently leveraging assets and financial resources.
Through all our overseas platforms, CDC is better positioned to prevent, detect, and respond to existing and emerging health threats and infectious diseases. This also enables CDC to address broader health issues that have tremendous impacts worldwide.
CDC regional offices:
- Support our agency-wide Global Health Strategy for advancing public health and health security
- Support activities that have a regional focus
- Work closely with CDC country offices to advance programs bilaterally and promotes intra-regional collaboration
- Build capacities across the regions in surveillance and data use, laboratory, workforce development, emergency preparedness and outbreak response
- Work with subject matter experts from CDC headquarters and CDC country offices, to engage CDC programs, priorities, and scientific expertise
- Coordinate closely with partners to advance global health security activities across multiple countries in the region
- Support the coordination of interagency work as one U.S. government around the world
To date, CDC has established the following regional offices:
- Eastern Europe/Central Asia – Tbilisi, Georgia
- Middle East/North Africa – Muscat, Oman
- South America – Brasilia, Brazil
- Southeast Asia – Hanoi, Vietnam
Regional offices being established this year include:
- Central American and Caribbean – Panama City, Panama
- East Asia/Pacific – Tokyo, Japan