Description and Examples of Index Items
Part A: Core Items
(applies to all materials)
Main Message and Call to Action
- Does the material contain one main message statement?
- Is the main message at the top, beginning, or front of the material?
- Is the main message emphasized with visual cues?
- Does the material contain at least one visual that conveys or supports the main message?
- Does the material include one or more calls to action for the primary audience?
- Do both the main message and the call to action use the active voice?
- Does the material always use words the primary audience uses?
- Does the material use bulleted or numbered lists?
- Is the material organized in chunks with headings?
- Is the most important information the primary audience needs summarized in the first paragraph or section?
- Does the material explain what authoritative sources, such as subject matter experts and agency spokespersons, know and don’t know about the topic?