- The Index has 4 introductory questions and 20 scored items drawn from scientific literature in communication and related disciplines.
- The items represent the most important characteristics that enhance and aid people's understanding of information.
Everyday Words for Public Health Communication [282KB, 44 pages] offers expert recommendations from CDC's Health Literacy Council and other agency communicators on how to reduce jargon and replace problematic terms in order to improve real comprehension.
We’ve provided a few examples of the materials we tested with descriptions of what we changed.
- Healthcare-associated Infections
- National Violent Death Reporting System
- Page last reviewed: November 10, 2015
- Page last updated: June 8, 2016
- Content source:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Page maintained by: Office of the Associate Director for Communication, Division of News and Electronic Media, Electronic Media Branch