The CDC Clear Communication Index
The CDC Clear Communication Index (Index) is a research-based tool to help you develop and assess public communication materials.
- The Index has 4 introductory questions and 20 scored items drawn from scientific literature in communication and related disciplines.
- The items represent the most important characteristics that enhance and aid people’s understanding of information.
Everyday Words for Public Health Communication offers expert recommendations from CDC’s Health Literacy Council and other agency communicators on how to reduce jargon and replace problematic terms in your materials in order to improve your audience’s comprehension.
We’ve provided a few examples of the materials we tested with descriptions of what we changed.
- Healthcare-associated Infections
- National Violent Death Reporting System
Copy the below code into your site to add the Index Widget
- Clear Communication Index User Guide [3.66 MB, 36 pages]
- Full Index Score Sheet [694 KB, 7 pages]
- Modified Index Score Sheet [671 KB, 7 pages]
- To send comments, questions, or requests about the Index, please use our online form.
How to Develop Products for Adults with Intellectual Developmental Disabilities and Extreme Low Literacy: A Product Development Tool [PDF – 4 MB] – Use this tool to develop products for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities (IDD) and extreme low literacy (ELL).