The CDC Clear Communication Index
The CDC Clear Communication Index (Index) is a research-based tool to help you develop and assess public communication materials.
- The Index has 4 introductory questions and 20 scored items drawn from scientific literature in communication and related disciplines.
- The items represent the most important characteristics that enhance and aid people’s understanding of information.
Everyday Words for Public Health Communication pdf icon[282KB, 44 pages] offers expert recommendations from CDC’s Health Literacy Council and other agency communicators on how to reduce jargon and replace problematic terms in order to improve real comprehension.
We’ve provided a few examples of the materials we tested with descriptions of what we changed.
- Healthcare-associated Infections
- National Violent Death Reporting System
Copy the below code into your site to add the Index Widget
Supported browsers: Chrome or Internet Explorer
- Clear Communication Index User Guide pdf icon[1 MB, 36 pages]
- Full Index Score Sheet pdf icon[694 KB, 7 pages]
- Modified Index Score Sheet pdf icon[671 KB, 7 pages]
- Comments/Questions: To send comments, questions, or requests about the Index, please use our online form.