Tools and Models to Estimate Staffing
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated. For updated information on the current flu season, see the CDC Seasonal Flu website.
Several tools exist to plan staffing for clinics: The BERM Model, the Maryland Model, Maxi-Vac and RealOpt. The BERM and Maryland models are similar in that they ask the user to specify how many persons need to be vaccinated over what period of time, and to select assumptions regarding time to move through different stations. Based on that, the model determines the number of staff needed. Maxi-Vac, in contrast, asks the user to specify how many staff are available, and based on that provides the optimal placement of staff and estimates the maximum number of persons that can be vaccinated. The Maryland model allows the user to plan a clinic designed for dispensing drugs or for administering influenza vaccination (adult and children). The BERM and Maxi-Vac models are based on smallpox vaccination clinics and can be tailored for influenza vaccination by turning off the medical screening and orientation stations. RealOpt is versatile in that it can be used to optimize clinic staffing based on a desired patient throughput, or provide an estimated throughput based on the staffing available. It also includes drive through and fixed facility designs for Points of Dispensing (PODs) and vaccination clinics. It is important to note that there will be variations in staffing needs that may not be accounted for by these models. For example, local data entry requirements may vary hence staff requirements will vary, and the need for security may vary depending on local circumstances.
- Computer Staffing Model for Bioterrorism Response: Cornell University/AHRQ (The Bioterrorism and Epidemic Outbreak Response Model (BERM))
- Improving Mass Dispensing and Vaccination Clinic Operations: University of Maryland
- Maxi-Vac: Planning Mass Smallpox Vaccination Clinics – (can be tailored for influenza vaccination clinics)
- Audiotaped presentation: Software and tips to consider when you design your mass influenza vaccination clinic (Michael Washington, CDC, National Immunization Conference 2007).
- RealOpt -- Decision support system for mass dispensing for pandemics and bioterror attacks.
Get email updates
To receive weekly email updates about this site, enter your email address:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO