Template Announcements for Students, Faculty, Staff, and Parents
This website is archived for historical purposes and is no longer being maintained or updated. For updated information on the current flu season, see the CDC Seasonal Flu website.
February 17, 2009 1:00 PM ET
Template 2: Classes Remain in Session during Current Flu Conditions
- This template can be customized and used as an announcement via e-mail, Web site, institution newsletter or newspaper, or other creative ways to reach students, faculty, staff, and parents.
- Primary Audience: Students, Faculty, and Staff
- Secondary Audience: Parents of Students and the Community
- Coordinate efforts with your local health department before distributing this letter or e-mail communication to ensure that all information is timely, relevant, and accurate.
- Visit School Planning to download and customize a Microsoft Word version of this letter and to view more flu information to share with students, faculty, staff, and parents.
The flu season will last through the fall and winter. More than one kind of flu virus will be spreading this season, including seasonal flu and the 2009 H1N1 flu. We encourage all students, faculty, and staff to follow these recommendations to stay healthy.
- Talk with your health care providers about getting vaccinated for seasonal flu and 2009 H1N1 flu. Also if you are at higher risk for flu complications from 2009 H1N1 flu, you should get the 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine. People at higher risk for 2009 H1N1 flu complications include pregnant women and people with chronic medical conditions (such as asthma, heart disease, or diabetes). For more information about primary target groups for vaccination, visit 2009 H1N1 Vaccination Recommendations.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your elbow or shoulder; not into your hands.
- Practice good hand hygiene by washing your hands often with soap and water, especially after coughing or sneezing. Alcohol-based hand rubs are also useful
At this time, students, faculty, and staff who are NOT sick can safely come to class and to work. We are working closely with the [County/State] health department and will keep you updated with any important information regarding the current flu conditions.
We will continue to monitor flu conditions as they develop and will keep you informed of any changes.
For updates, call the [insert name of institution] information center at [INSERT NUMBER], visit our Web site at [INSERT WEB SITE ADDRESS] or follow us on Twitter at [INSERT WEB ADDRESS]. For more information about flu, call 1-800-CDC-INFO or visit Flu.gov.
Get email updates
To receive weekly email updates about this site, enter your email address:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO