Plan for Travel
Before your trip
During your trip
Keep mosquitoes outside
- Stay in places with air conditioning and with window/door screens.
- Use a bed net if air conditioned or screened rooms are not available or if sleeping outdoors.
After your trip
Protect yourself from mosquito bites
- Even if you do not feel sick, travelers returning to the United States from an area with Zika should take steps to prevent mosquito bites for 3 weeks so they do not spread Zika to mosquitoes that could spread the virus to other people.
Protect yourself during sex
- Protect yourself and your partner during sex, especially if your partner traveled to an area with Zika or if you are pregnant or considering getting pregnant.
- The amount of time you need to protect yourself during sex depends on whether your partner has symptoms and whether you are pregnant or trying to get pregnant. For specific guidelines, see protect yourself during sex.
- Page last reviewed: January 17, 2017
- Page last updated: January 17, 2017
- Content source: