What we know
- No vaccine exists to prevent Zika.
- Prevent Zika by avoiding mosquito bites.
- Mosquitoes that spread Zika virus bite during the day and night.
- Mosquitoes that spread Zika virus also spread dengue and chikungunya viruses.
- Zika can be passed through sex from a person who has Zika to his or her sex partners. Condoms can reduce the chance of getting Zika from sex. Condoms include male and female condoms.
- Local mosquito-borne Zika virus transmission has been reported in the continental United States.
- The mosquitoes that can spread Zika are found throughout the United States.
What you can do to protect yourself and others
- Page last reviewed: October 4, 2017
- Page last updated: October 4, 2017
- Content source: