Storage and Handling for Meningococcal Vaccines
Proper vaccine storage and handling practices play an important role in protecting individuals and communities from vaccine-preventable diseases. For general recommendations and guidance, see Vaccine Storage and Handling. Provided below is guidance specific to meningococcal vaccines.
- Store meningococcal vaccines refrigerated between 2°C and 8°C (36°F and 46°F).
- Do not freeze vaccine or diluents, or expose to freezing temperatures. If the vaccine has been exposed to inappropriate conditions/temperatures or handled improperly:
- Store the vaccine at the appropriate temperature
- Isolate from other vaccines
- Mark “Do NOT Use”
- Consult the vaccine manufacturer and/or your state or local immunization program for guidance
- Store meningococcal vaccines in the original packaging.
- For meningococcal vaccines that require reconstitution (Menveo®), store diluent and vaccine (which are packaged together) together in the refrigerator.
- For meningococcal vaccines that require reconstitution (Menveo®), do NOT use if the reconstituted vaccine cannot be resuspended with thorough agitation.
- Only reconstitute diluents for Menveo®, which contain antigen, with the corresponding lyophilized vaccine provided by the manufacturer.
- Never use stock vials of normal saline to reconstitute these vaccines.
- Discard vaccine vials and syringes using proper medical waste disposal procedures.