Vaccines Recommended for Travel and Some Specific Groups
There is a vaccine that can help prevent anthrax, a serious infection caused by the bacterium Bacillus anthracis. However, this vaccine is not typically available for the general public. It is only recommended for people who are at an increased risk of coming into contact with or have already been exposed to B. anthracis.
Talk with your healthcare professional if you have questions about the anthrax vaccine.
CDC recommends anthrax vaccination for:
- People who are at an increased risk of coming into contact with the bacteria that cause anthrax because of their job
- People who have been exposed to the bacteria that causes anthrax
Basic information about anthrax vaccination…
Vaccine recommendations and contraindications; composition, immunogenicity, and efficacy; storage and handling; administration details…
- CDC’s Anthrax Website
- Anthrax Vaccine Information Statement
- Anthrax Information From the Food and Drug Administrationexternal icon
- Photos of Anthrax Bacteria and People Affected by Anthrax
Warning: Some of these photos are graphic.