How to Apply to the Dental Public Health Residency (DPHR) Program
The application period for the Dental Public Health Residency is now closed. Please monitor this page for information regarding the next academic year.
- Requirements Checklist and Application form
- Copies of unofficial transcripts
- Copies of unofficial transcripts from both dental school and graduate education in public health (even if you are currently enrolled)
- Transcripts must state your degree of study, courses taken, grades earned, and graduation date
- Include a Certified Translation if language is not English
- Do not send high school transcripts or copies of National Board Examination scores
If you are accepted into the program, CDC must receive your official transcripts by January 31 of the residency year, or your acceptance will be withdrawn.
Additional Items Required if Dental Degree Obtained Outside the United States (US)/Canada:
- Course-by-Course Evaluation report
- Applicants who have obtained a dental degree outside of the United States or Canada must also include a course-by-course evaluation report from a US Credentialing Agency (examples listed below).
American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO)
One Dupont Circle, NW, Suite 520
Washington, DC 20036
Web site: http://www.aacrao.org/
Educational Credential Evaluators, Inc. (ECE)
P.O. Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470
Web site: http://www.ece.org
World Education Services (WES)
Bowling Green Station
P.O. Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
Web site: http://www.wes.org
“[First Name_Last Name] [Application Year]”
Refer to the zip file Instructions [PDF – 482 KB] for step-by-step instructions on how to save your materials as a zip file.
- Zip file Name: “[First Name_Last Name] [Application Year]”
- Email Subject Line: “[First Name_Last Name] [Application Year]”
You will receive a confirmation email when your materials have been received.
Three letters of recommendation from references who have worked with the applicant in a professional or academic setting are also required. The letters should be written in English on the reference’s letterhead, signed and dated by the reference and sent directly to the residency email address (DPHresidency@cdc.gov).
For academic year 2024–2025, all components of the application, including the three letters of recommendation, must be submitted by email no later than September 30, 2023 to be eligible for consideration.
Residency Director Contact Information
Gina Thornton-Evans, DDS, MPH
Director, Dental Public Health Residency Program
Selection is based on academic achievement, prior experience, and alignment of CDC’s Residency Program with your stated goals. Applicants are considered equally, without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation, or age. As outlined by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA), all accepted residents must meet the eligibility criteria.