For Respirator Users
Updated December 21, 2020
For more information on COVID-19 and PPE, please visit:
Optimizing the Supply of Respirators and Other PPE
Frequently Asked Questions about Personal Protective Equipment
Release of Stockpiled N95 Filtering Facepiece Respirators Beyond the Manufacturer-Designated Shelf Life
Performance Reports of Stockpiled Respirators
NPPTL Respirator Assessment to Support the COVID-19 Response of Stockpiled, International, Decontaminated Respirators
Interim Final Rule on Approval Tests and Standards for Air-Purifying Particulate Respirators
- Elastomeric Half Mask Respirator Resources
- Approved Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators (FFRs) with Donning Instructions
Tables listing NIOSH-approved FFRs in the seven classes.
- Certified Equipment List (CEL)
A searchable list of commercially-available, respiratory personal protective devices approved by NIOSH to meet the requirements of Title 42, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 84.
- Respirator Trusted-Source Information
Provides methods to identify NIOSH-approved filtering facepiece respirators and answers to frequently asked questions.
- N95 Filtering Facepiece Respirator Infographics
- Closed-Circuit Escape Respirators Rules and Standards
- CCER’s approved under Subpart O (current)
- Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear (CBRN) Respiratory Protection Handbook
- Respirator Exhalation Valve Research
Research projects that focus on determining the potential for respirators with exhalation valves to contribute to source control.
- Respirator Topic page
A respirator is a personal protective device that is worn on the face, covers at least the nose and mouth, and is used to reduce the wearer’s risk of inhaling hazardous airborne particles, gases, or vapors.
- Seasonal Influenza-related Respirator Research
Research projects that focus on various issues which affect the use of filtering facepiece respirators.
- Respiratory Protection for Workers Handling Engineered Nanoparticles
Provides an update on the science and rationale behind NIOSH’s recommendations for the use and selection of respirators against engineered nanoparticles.
- MultiVapor™ Version 2.2.5 Application
A computer tool for estimating breakthrough times and service life of air-purifying respirator cartridges.
- Letters to Interested Parties
Official letters announcing public meetings, new requirements, NIOSH policies, and other information for our stakeholders.