2015 Public-Use Linked Mortality Files
Public-use Linked Mortality Files (LMF) are available for 1986-2014 NHIS, 1999-2014 NHANES, and NHANES III. The files include a limited set of mortality variables for adult participants only. The public-use versions of the NCHS Linked Mortality Files were subjected to data perturbation techniques to reduce the risk of participant re-identification. For select records, synthetic data were substituted for follow-up time or underlying cause of death. Information regarding vital status was not perturbed.
The 2019 public-use Linked Mortality Files, which will include survey data from the 1986-2018 NHIS, 1999-2018 NHANES, and NHANES III with mortality data through 2019, are forthcoming. We anticipate a spring 2022 release of the files.
Data Files and Data Dictionaries
- File Description: Public-Use 2015 LMF pdf icon[PDF – 175 KB]
- Public-Use Data Dictionary: Public-Use 2015 LMF pdf icon[PDF – 101 KB]
- Public-Use Linked Mortality Files: FTP Site
- Software Programs:
Comparability of 2015 Public-use and Restricted-use Files
Reports comparing the 2015 public-use and restricted-use NHIS and NHANES Linked Mortality Files are available here:
- Comparative Analysis of the National Health Interview Survey Public-use and Restricted-use Linked Mortality Files pdf icon[PDF – 1MB]
- Comparative Analysis of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Public-use and Restricted-use Linked Mortality Files pdf icon[PDF – 509 KB]
For more information about accessing the restricted-use linked mortality files, please consult the Restricted-Use Linked Mortality Data page.