Restricted-Use Linked NHCS-CMS Medicare Data
Through its data linkage program, NCHS has been able to expand the analytic utility of the data collected from the National Hospital Care Survey (NHCS) by augmenting it with administrative data from the CMS Medicare Master Beneficiary Summary File (MBSF). Linkage of NHCS data with the CMS Medicare MBSF provides the opportunity to conduct a vast array of utilization studies on the Medicare-eligible population.
- Descriptions of the methods used for linkage and analytic considerations for the 2014 NHCS linkage to the 2014-2015 CMS MBSF can be found in the: 2014 NHCS – 2014-2015 CMS MBSF Matching Methodology and Analytic Consideration Cdc-pdf[PDF – 302 KB].
Due to confidentiality requirements, the Restricted-use linked NHCS-CMS MBSF data are accessible only through the NCHS Research Data Center (RDC) Network. All interested researchers must submit a research proposal to the RDC. Please see the RDC website for instructions on submitting a proposal.
- MBSF Base A/B Segment Cdc-pdf[PDF – 163 KB]
- MBSF Chronic Conditions Segment Cdc-pdf[PDF – 168 KB]
- MBSF Cost and Use Segment Cdc-pdf[PDF – 191 KB]
- MBSF Part D Segment Cdc-pdf[PDF – 204 KB]
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) websiteExternal
- Medicare and You HandbookExternal
- Medicare Program—General InformationExternal
- Research Data Assistance Center (ResDAC) at the University of MinnesotaExternal