NCHS Data Linked to CMS Medicare Enrollment and Claims Files
NCHS has linked various surveys with Medicare enrollment and claims records collected from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS). Linkage of the NCHS survey participants with the CMS Medicare data provides the opportunity to study changes in health status, health care utilization, and expenditures among the elderly U.S. population and persons receiving Medicare disability benefits.
Medicare enrollment and claims data are available for those NCHS respondents who agreed to provide personal identification data to NCHS and for whom NCHS was able to match with Medicare administrative records. CMS provided NCHS with Medicare benefit claims data for 1999 through 2013 for all successfully matched NCHS survey participants. For certain NCHS surveys, the Medicare administrative files include data from before and after the survey year of interview. CMS also provided to NCHS Medicare Part D data for 2006-2013.
NCHS Surveys Linked to 1999- 2013* CMS Medicare Data
- 1994-2013 National Health Interview Survey (NHIS)
- 1999-2012 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES)
- NHANES I Epidemiologic Follow-up Study (NHEFS)
- Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES III)
- The Second Longitudinal Study of Aging (LSOA II)
- 2004 National Nursing Home Survey (NNHS)
- 2007 National Home and Hospice Care Survey (NHHCS)
* 1991-1998 linked NCHS-CMS Medicare data are available from a previous linkage for some of the surveys listed. Please contact the NCHS Data Linkage Team for more information.
Linked NCHS-CMS Medicare Data Bibliography
The details of the linked data, linkage methods, and analysis considerations, are available from the links on the navigation menu. For any additional questions, contact the Data Linkage Team:
Data Linkage Team
Division of Analysis and Epidemiology
National Center for Health Statistics
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
3311 Toledo Road
Hyattsville, MD 20782