Provisional Death Counts for Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19): Index of COVID-19 Surveillance and Ad-hoc Data Files
On June 6, 2022, the National Vital Statistics System (NVSS) cause of death coding system began a system-wide upgrade, which required a temporary suspension of routine NVSS surveillance reporting. The upgrade required all 2022 death records to be reprocessed into the system. As routine NVSS surveillance reporting resumes, users may temporarily observe lower death counts for prior weeks in 2022 as the backlog is reprocessed and reloaded into the system. Data shown on this page will not be updated June 30 and July 1 due to unplanned system maintenance, regular updates are expected to resume July 6, 2022.
The provisional counts for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) deaths are based on a current flow of mortality data in the National Vital Statistics System. National provisional counts include deaths occurring within the 50 states and the District of Columbia that have been received and coded as of the date specified. It is important to note that it can take several weeks for death records to be submitted to National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), processed, coded, and tabulated. Therefore, the data shown on this page may be incomplete, and will likely not include all deaths that occurred during a given time period, especially for the more recent time periods. Death counts for earlier weeks are continually revised and may increase or decrease as new and updated death certificate data are received from the states by NCHS. COVID-19 death counts shown here may differ from other published sources, as data currently are lagged by an average of 1–2 weeks.
The data files presented on the dashboard below are updated regularly as part of NCHS’s National Vital Statistics System’s (NVSS) COVID-19 surveillance.
For more information about the data, please visit the Technical Notes page.
Note: AH = Ad-hoc. Datasets with the prefix AH are not updated routinely, but can be updated upon request.
- Notice of Change in Population Estimates [PDF – 77 KB] (8/25/2021)
- Excess deaths during March-May 2020 in New York City Counties [PDF – 17 KB] (6/23/2021)
- Number of deaths for leading causes of death – United States, 2015-2020 [PDF – 113 KB] (4/7/2021)
- Provisional Death Counts of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), Ages 5-18 years, United States. Week ending 2/1/2020 to 7/11/2020 [PDF – 60 KB] (7/14/2020)
- Provisional Death Counts of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), Ages 0–18 years, United States. Week ending 2/1/2020 to 7/11/2020 [PDF – 78 KB] (7/13/2020)
- Provisional Death Counts of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) by Age, United States. Week ending 2/1/2020 to 7/4/2020 [PDF – 17 KB] (7/9/2020)
- Provisional Death Counts of Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), Pneumonia, or Influenza by week, United States. Week ending 2/1/2020 to 4/11/2020 [PDF – 69 KB] (4/16/2020)
- Percent of COVID-19 Deaths Occurring Among Race and Hispanic Origin Groups [PDF – 47 KB] (4/9/2020)