Growth Chart Training: Using BMI-for-Age Growth Charts
About This Course
The CDC BMI-for-age growth reference charts described in this training course apply only to children and teens aged 2 years to 20 years. There are five sections in this course:
- What is Body Mass Index (BMI).
- Using BMI-for-age as a Screening Tool.
- Steps to Plot and Interpret BMI-for-age.
- References and Resources.
Self-assessment questions are included in each section. Supplemental materials are also available, including a reference and resource list.
The target audience includes health care providers such as nutritionists, registered nurses, pediatricians, and other providers who measure and assess child growth.
At the conclusion of the training, you will be able to
- Describe the advantages of using the BMI-for-age growth charts to screen for underweight, overweight, and obesity among children and teens.
- Calculate BMI by using the metric and English methods.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the use of the BMI-for-age growth chart by accurately plotting and interpreting BMI-for-age on the appropriate chart.
The CDC BMI-for-age clinical growth charts are available at https://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/clinical_charts.htm.
ESTIMATED TIME NEEDED TO COMPLETE THE COURSE
To read through text: 40 minutes
To read through text and complete exercises: 60 minutes