South African Field Epidemiology Training Programme: Call for applicants – 2019 intake
The South African Field Epidemiology Training Programme (SAFETP) is requesting applications for the incoming 2019 class from qualified health professionals with an interest in public health and commitment to public service.
SAFETP is hosted by the National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) of the National Health Laboratory Services (NHLS), for the National Department of Health with technical and financial support from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention South Africa. The program is a combination of didactic and practical training in which the resident is grounded in the academic basics of applied epidemiology and is assigned to field sites where he or she learns by doing while being mentored by supervisors in projects that address key public health priorities.
This residency program is a two-year, full-time training, from which residents graduate with either a Masters in Public Health (MPH) from the University of Pretoria or a Masters in Epidemiology (MSc) in Field Epidemiology from the University of the Witwatersrand. The 2019 cohort will begin in January 2019 and end in December 2020 and applicants are required to apply at both the University of Pretoria and the University of the Witwatersrand.
How to apply
- If you meet all the requirements, download and complete the application and two reference forms that are available on our website:
- Additional forms/documents required are:
- Certified copies of qualification certificates
- Statement of Purpose: In 700 words or less describe your career goals and your interest in applying for this programme
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Results of the National Bench Mark Test –please visit the website of National Bench Mark Test via the website: www.nbt.ac.zaExternal and Tel: +27 (0)21 650 3523 for more information on dates and venues of the test. Please note that this is a University of Pretoria requirement and NOT a University of the Witwatersrand requirement.
- Non South Africans who are accepted must do the Test of English as Foreign Language (TOEFL) and have their original degrees accredited by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
- Proof of the online application from the University of Pretoria and the University of the Witwatersrand as follows:
University of Pretoria: http://www.up.ac.za/en/online-application/article/2445192/apply-at-the-university-of-pretoriaExternal follow the process for applying online.
University of the Witwatersrand: Evidence of application to study Field Epidemiology in the MSc Epidemiology Programme of University of the Witwatersrand. Wits postgraduate application forms can be accessed online at: http://www.wits.ac.za/postgraduate/applications/External Also visit the following page for the discipline specific requirements: http://www.wits.ac.za/publichealth/academic-programmes/postgraduate/master-of-science-in-epidemiology/External
Applicants should note to apply for accommodation if they will require it. The deadline for accommodation application is 30 October 2018.
The completed forms should be submitted to: SAFETP via: Gloria Motshudi, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or GloriaMo@nicd.ac.za and email@example.com
You may also hand deliver the above application forms to Gloria Motshudi, SAFETP Administration Office, Room L6, PRF Reception Building, NICD, No 1 Modderfontein Road, Sandringham, Johannesburg.
For enquiries or more information please contact:
University of the Witwatersrand: Busi Mamabolo, telephone: +27 11 717 2605, email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, log onto http://www.nicd.ac.za/index.php/safetp/call-for-applications-2018/External