Health Effects & Risks
What we know
- Zika infection during pregnancy can cause serious birth defects and is associated with other pregnancy problems.
- Several countries that have experienced Zika outbreaks recently have reported increases in people who have Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS).
- Current CDC research suggests that GBS is strongly associated with Zika; however, only a small proportion of people with recent Zika virus infection get GBS.
- Page last reviewed: August 9, 2016
- Page last updated: August 9, 2016
- Content source: