Rabies Immune Globulin: current situation
Posted: September 19, 2012
Initial Announcement: September 7, 2012
- Sanofi Pasteur is currently directing requests for human rabies immune globulin to Grifols/Talecris Biotherapeutics, supplier of HyperRAB.
- Sanofi Pasteur will be able to fulfill orders for Imogam (human rabies immune globulin) when additional lots are expected to be released by late November.
- Grifols/Talecris Biotherapeutics is expected to meet demand of human rabies immune globulin until additional lots of Imogam become available from Sanofi Pasteur.
Recommendations Unaffected By Supply Constraint
- Human rabies immune globulin is still available. Supplies from Grifols/Talecris Biotherapeutics are expected to meet demand for persons requiring rabies post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP).
- The current situation for rabies vaccine has not changed since the previous update on September 11, 2012.
- Providers should consult with local/state public health departments to ensure appropriate use of PEP (State and local rabies consultation contacts).
- Persons at increased risk for rabies exposure should take appropriate precautions to avoid exposure, including avoiding unknown domestic animals and wildlife. In addition, pets and livestock should be vaccinated. When possible, after an exposure, efforts should be made to capture the animal involved in the exposure and held for observation (if a cat, dog, or ferret) or tested for rabies
- Additional updates will be posted to the CDC rabies website as available.
Previous updates on Rabies Vaccine and Immune Globulin Supply
Page last reviewed: September 19, 2012